"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Forum smileys (AKA emoticons)

Most forums have common emoticons: :) ;) :D :P etc.

Most forum softwares allow mapping of multiple emoticons into smiley images.

Examples:

:) = :smile: =
;) = :wink: =
:D = :biggrin: =

etc.

Why don't you map the common forum emoticons into your commonly used emoticons? I'm pretty sure vBulletin can handle multiple smiley mappings.

Why do you make the forum members type out the long nammes for your emmoticons when there are common abbreviations for the most often used of them?

I see people using :) and ;) all the time and there's no emoticon support in the forum.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't know what you mean, Greg. If you click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the Quick Reply, there are quite a few emoticons available, especially if you click on the "More" button at the bottom of the list.

There is a place (I'm not sure where) that you can check to not show them. Perhaps that is your problem. Also, some people just choose to use the typed version rather than go through all the motions to find and use the actual smiley.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Executive Chef

from my experience emoticons on this site seem to only appear at certain times throughout the day. when i see them displayed i usually use them, but no big deal when they are not. i tend not to question the many vagaries of a computer world to which i am only tenuously connected. otherwise i get too often and too easily lost....
Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The problem is that some people click them off a list while others like me type them directly, particularly people who are fast at touch typing. It breaks up the rhythm to have to reach for the mouse. You get what I mean? :)

Instead of hitting colon then right parenthesis I have to hit colon then 5 letters then another colon, a lot more typing to get the same thing. Plus, almost every other forum on the whole Internet accepts colon right-parenthesis as "smile" so you have to keep remembering that CD isn't like the rest of them.

The point is that it would take an administrator about 5 minutes to fix the problem. Second point is that there's no down side for anybody. Once fixed the smileys work both ways.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

The way these were done is a legacy issue that would involve a lot more work to fix than the benefit.

Every smilie as a shortcut code... like : smile : (no spaces)
Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Master Chef

I enjoy and appreciate using what's available here. I just wish we had more that are related to food.....like drooling for example.

http://www.sherv.net/food-icons.html

Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I did see one that represented drooling, but it was kind of disgusting. I just *drool* which expresses my feelings without having to look anything up.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

I am not sure, I see smilies on the right bottom all the time. But the quality and selection that is definetelly is not so good.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

CharlieD, if you look below the Smiles list. it says [More]. Click that for a bigger selection.

It also shows the typed colon bracket shortcut.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The way these were done is a legacy issue that would involve a lot more work to fix than the benefit.

Every smilie as a shortcut code... like : smile : (no spaces)
I guess it depends on how your forum software is written. Other forum softwares have it this way:

shortcut code -> image
shortcut code -> image
shortcut code -> image

More than one shortcut code can refer to the same image.

If vBulletin does it like this:

image -> shortcut code
image -> shortcut code
image -> shortcut code

Then you can just include the same images but with different names (actually they're copies of images.)

for example:

smile.gif -> :smile:
smile2.gif -> :)

or if it's mapped the other way:

:smile: -> smile.gif
:) -> smile2.gif

Where smile2.gif is just a copy of smile.gif ...

I guarantee I could make it work if I was an administrator here, not that I want to be an administrator, not that you'd want me to be an administrator. (Believe me, nobody wants that!)

I've been an administrator on several sites. I've owned my own sites as forum administrator. I've written code for forums although not vBulletin. I guarantee there's a way to make this work but only if you want it to work, and a little cleverness might be required.

And also, I know it can work because I've been a member on other vBulletin sites where they made it work there.

I often see DC newbies and those who infrequently visit the site use :) and ;) because they expect that to work, or they forgot it doesn't. I'm sure that could be fixed.