"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Head Chef

Okay, who declared this skilletlicker delivers the bad news day? Half Baked, the reason you didn't see your posts is because "half baked" is a common expression that returns about 3 millions results. Try narrowing the search by entering Half Baked spay and neuter.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
Head Chef

I google my screen name every once in a while; my profile here and my thread about my DEFLEPP license plates are all that came up from here along with one thread about help with avatars on the official Def Leppard site forum (I use the same screen name for almost all forums I am on) in 25 pages. If you don't find much by then, chances are that no one else is going to go to the trouble.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Nothing to be concerned about, and you don't have to use them.

You can learn more about linkbacks HERE
MJ, I hate to admit this, but I read the info and still haven't a clue. Is there a very easy, nontechnical way of explaining exactly what happens when one clicks on those icons?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Okay, who declared this skilletlicker delivers the bad news day? Half Baked, the reason you didn't see your posts is because "half baked" is a common expression that returns about 3 millions results. Try narrowing the search by entering Half Baked spay and neuter.
uh-oh...I hate to take that off my siggy but I will definately give it some thought. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
uh-oh...I hate to take that off my siggy but I will definately give it some thought. Thanks for the heads up.
Half Baked, I'm not suggesting you change the signature. Even if you did, it wouldn't make you invisible. My point is only that this forum, like virtually everything else you see online, can also be seen by everyone else in the whole wide world and that is something to be aware of. It doesn't help to be afraid of it, and it is not possible to retreat from it.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #16
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Despite the tone of my earlier post, I'm not terribly concerned about these icons. I did wonder why they suddenly showed up.

I was contacted out of the blue by someone I worked with back in 1989 because he'd Googled my real name (some folks know it!) and found my email address. It's a nice thing he did, too, because we got back in touch. I was able to see him again last year before he was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer and died within a matter of months.

As for Googling, it's how I got back in touch with the love of my life after 24 years (almost 28 years now). He doesn't do computers but someone gave out information on a web site for one of the art shows where he exhibited. He's a freelance oil painter. And there you have it, we got back in touch, and after talking a lot on the phone, met up again after 24 years. He's the reason I write my "trip reports".

Fraidy
Old 12-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #17
Everymom

Whoo! Sorry to have caused concern there with my answer folks. Just to clarify, the site OWNER periodically makes upgrades and we don't know about them til we sign on. Sorry to have caused concern. I think this is cool new feature myself.

HalfBaked and Fraidy. I hope you haven't got yourself in a swivet thinking you will be stalked because of these features. The reality is, if you can find your way to DC, so can the rest of the world. Thats just the nature of the Internet. Just don't give out the important personal information in your posts and you will be fine.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Yes, my first reaction was just knee jerk. I know i'm fine.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #19
Head Chef

Now that that's all settled, does anybody use any of these online link lists? Are they more than that?

Old 12-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
MJ, I hate to admit this, but I read the info and still haven't a clue. Is there a very easy, nontechnical way of explaining exactly what happens when one clicks on those icons?
I'll try my best - it is kinda confusing.

If you click on those icons, it allows DC members to post a Social Bookmark about a topic they are reading here at DC.

What happens is - people who are members of these other sites (digg, furl, del.icio.us and Technorati) can bookmark pages they link to and they add information about the pages. These pages will be shared in thier listings and let others know about us.

Please post your thoughts about this here!