"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 01-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I don't mind it except... it seems to be blocking me "search" box... makes it kind of hard to use it.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
Everymom

OK, I don't use Firefox, I use IE 6.0 (I think!) and I get nothing. Maybe a different pop up blocker is in order Breezy? I use the one that comes with Windows and also Google toolbar blocker. I haven't had a pop up in AGES. Does that help?

Old 01-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
Master Chef

It's just odd that this is the "only" popup. And as others have noticed, the top banner ad does completely block the site search function. Don't think even a new popup blocker will do anything about that.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You can still use the search feature - you just go to a different page OR if you are careful typing you can still click on the search box, type in what you want, and hit enter. A new page will come up with your hits from your search. You don't necessarily have to see it for it to work. Or, like I said, just go to another page and use it. I know it's annoying. I have just found a way to get around it, that's all.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
Everymom

Breezy, what blocker are you using? Can you up the level on it? I have one of mine set to allow pop ups on the site so I get my PM pop ups, but the other catches everything else (I think). I really feel for you, I hate it when I can't use a tool easily.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Advertising dollars contribute mucho dollars into the U.S. economy! In many ways it fuels and drives the economic engine..Just think of the $$$ millions that will be spent during the Super Bowl Game...Living in the U.S. is great...but it 'aint free!
Another great thing about our economic system is that we as consumers can on a daily basis choose to buy or not to buy advertised goods and services.
I'm proud to be an American...where at least I know I'm free!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
Head Chef

I really don't mind the banner add for H&R Block because that is where I have my Income Tax done.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Well, that add on for Firefox must be the key, because I also use Firefox and here it is, blocking the search feature, just like it does in IE.

It's not that we don't understand the concept of the free website, it's more that we were mentioning that it blocks the drop down lists. Sometimes it seems that people here aren't fond of hearing about potential troubles with the site. It's a complaint about this particular ad, not the concept of ads. Not a criticism of the site, but a criticism of this ad.

BC
Old 01-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #19
Sous Chef

If I can chime in here... the ad is not just "annoying" and asking DC users to "find a way around it" will just result in people not coming here. Good business doesn't annoy the "potential customer" so much that they are pissed off at the company advertising. Nor does good advertising force a "potential customer" away from the advertising... i.e. not coming to DC until the ad is down.

We're also going to get hundreds of repeat questions because, like me, people are not going to use the search tool. I'm off to post my question that has probably already been answered. No, nevermind. I'll just head to another web site.

From a former webmaster... mods... why not just get the ad fixed? You're going to hear about it again and again until you do.

P.S. I tried firefox (with the extension) and IE and neither block the ad.

Edited to add.. if you come to this thread, it's gone. The add is still darned annoying and is going to generate many questions and much frustration.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

BlueCat do you use the Adblock extension for Firefox? That will get rid of the ad.