"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Help spread the word about our community...

We have an amazing community here and in order to keep growing we need to tell as many people as possible. A great way to do this is to post links back to our site. The best way is to post a link to a relevant page on our site, the search engines are really smart and can tell when good links are posted.

If we all remember to post links back to DC, then over time we are assured that we will remain #1 in Google for "Cooking Forum" but also rise the ranks in many other areas.

Also, all other forms of grassroots marketing are greatly appreciated. Tell your friends, tell people you meet at a chili cookoff or BBQ Tourney. If we all work together to spread the word, we will enjoy the comapny of many more fine members.

If you find a cooking site that has a links section, make sure to submit DC to be included. We are going to have a new links section soon. If you post a link to a site, it might be worth asking them to post a link back.

Together we can keep evolving the best cooking community online into the world class cooking resource we are destine to be... If you have cooking questions, we have answers...

Old 12-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
*Bump*

Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I'm telling people, but I don't know how to do "links" etc.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I'm telling people, but I don't know how to do "links" etc.
For example - if you see someone asking questions about making/baking bread, you could give them this link:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...read-6298.html

Or like this:

Quote:
Thanks to hirokei for the link to this yummy cookie/bar that I made today.

http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/LinzerTorteCkies.asp

Without spaming other sites, just spread the word about our community and how we have the most knowledgeable foodies on the net!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I love DC and try to mention it whenever I get the chance. I've tried to get many friends and family to come join, but next to DH, it's not been that successful. I think that is because a lot of my relatives primarily just use the net for email or aren't into cooking. As for my girlfriends, well they aren't so easily excused and I should into them (kidding, of course ).

I know it's but a drop of water in the bucket, but I also like to give good reviews to sites using Stumble Upon (you need to have a Modzilla browser on your computer to use it, which is no worries, you can have Explorer and Modzilla on the same desktop ). Stumble works by people giving a site (that they 2stumble upon") either a thumbs-up or down and the option of commenting on it. In theory the more thumbs-ups and good comments a site has, the more times it will be shown to people who "stumble" upon it, thus spreading the greatness of DC and hopefully encouraging new people to join.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:07 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Piccolina that is not a drop in the bucket at all. Tons of people use Stumble Upon every day. I have submitted DC to them as well so between you and me, the drop in the bucket just became a small splash. If more people do that then we will have a huge splash in no time
Old 12-22-2005, 07:12 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

we're gonna need a bigger bucket...

can we have water balloons too?
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Andy, could you please also provide us with banners of different sizes, that would have a direct link to the main page of DC, then we could use them on our sites...

Thanks

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Piccolina that is not a drop in the bucket at all. Tons of people use Stumble Upon every day. I have submitted DC to them as well so between you and me, the drop in the bucket just became a small splash. If more people do that then we will have a huge splash in no time
That is awesome and very encouraging to hear, thank-you GB! I was wondering if any other DCers used Stumble I've got DH doing it too when he swings by to read the DC pages, so hopefully we can turn that splash into a puddle, into a pond, into...

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I love Stumble Upon Piccolina! It is such a great tool to find websites that you otherwise might never see. Yes I think we have the makings of an ocean