Hey Y'all - Guess who's cooking on Discuss Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy R

Site Team
Staff member
It's with great pleasure to let all our wonderful members know that Paula Deen has chosen our community to host her online community blog. She's working a with a firm called EQAL on this cool new format and we are one of just a handful of high quality sites where you can keep up with her blog. Make sure to check often as she's posting updates on a regular basis.

To get to the page, just click on the image in the upper right column. It looks like this:
paula_deen_300x100.jpg

Here is a link for easy access:
http://www.discusscooking.com/paula_deen.html

Here is a bio that was provided to me in case you somehow don't know who Paula is!
As a young girl in Albany, GA, Paula Deen lived an idyllic life with a loving family that included doting parents, grandparents, and a large extended family. If there was one consistent theme in the household it was laughter around the dinner table and great southern meals frequently cooked by Grandmother Paul. Little did Paula know that these special meals and Southern traditions would take her places she never dreamed.

After graduating from high school in 1965, Paula married her high school sweetheart and soon started a family that produced two sons. . By her twenty-third birthday Paula’s happy life spun out of control and tragedy took over her life. Both Paula’s parents died unexpectedly within a year’s time leaving Paula devastated and in charge of not only her young babies but also her younger brother Bubba. It was around this time of her life that Paula began to develop symptoms that are associated with agoraphobia. At times she felt so fearful and paralyzed that she was unable to step outside the safety boundaries of her home.

For twenty years, Paula battled her agoraphobia and her once loving marriage crumbled under the stress of a badly shaken family life. Left with two growing sons and no source of income, Deen reached into her Southern roots and drew inspiration from what she knew best - her kitchen stove.

Her culinary career began in June 1989 out of her kitchen with “The Bag Lady”, a home-based lunch delivery service in Savannah, with the help of her two sons Jamie & Bobby. With $200 given to her by her husband, Paula spent fifty dollars on groceries, roughly forty dollars on a cooler, and the rest on a business license and incidentals.

In a few short years “The Bag Lady” was successful enough to search for a work space outside her kitchen. For five years, Paula prepared meals at a Best Western hotel in Savannah. It wasn’t long before Paula started to develop a loyal following who loved her style of home-cooked Southern meals that nurtured the soul as much as the appetite. In 1996 the timing was right for her to open her own restaurant, The Lady and Sons, in downtown Savannah. Within a few years, the restaurant moved to a larger building in Savannah's historic district. It wasn’t long before USA Today food critic Jerry Shriver named The Lady and Sons the "International Meal of the Year" in 1999.

In 1997, Deen published her first cookbook, The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook. As luck would have it, a major publishing house picked it up when one of their literary agents walked into the restaurant to escape a rainstorm. Shortly after that, Deen’s cookbook was appearing on QVC. In the years to follow she published many more cookbooks, all of which made the national bestseller list. To date Deen has sold more than 8 million books in print. Most recently, her first children’s cookbook Paula Deen’s: My First Cookbook remained on the New York Times bestseller list for several months. Other popular titles include Paula Deen Celebrates, Paula Deen’s Kitchen Classics, The Lady & Sons Just Desserts, and Paula Deen & Friends.

In addition Deen launched her magazine, Cooking with Paula Deen, in November 2005 and today is a category leader with a circulation of over one million, outselling competitors in bookstores and mainline newsstands. In this bi-monthly magazine Paula shares the warmth of her kitchen, delicious home-cooked recipes, gardening tips, and seasonal decorating ideas.

“Paula’s Home Cooking” premiered on the TV Food Network on November 16, 2002. The program features Deen doing what she does best - being herself, teaching people how to bring joy into their kitchens and homes. With Deen it’s about teaching viewers to bring out the best in their families and creating happy memories no matter what the budget is.

In Fall 2006, Deen launched her second program, “Paula’s Party”, on the Food Network. She invites guests to participate in her cooking classes. Viewers get an inside look of what makes Deen so special - a clever wit, her jovial laugh and sheer genius at making people feel good.

“Paula’s Best Dishes” premiered on the Food Network in June 2008. During this show, Paula recreates viewer recipes while sharing personal stories and family traditions. Secrets from some of America’s great cooks are revealed as she prepares these favorite dishes.

In March 2008, Meyer Corporation teamed up with Paula Deen to launch her Signature Collection of cookware, bake ware, cutlery, kitchen tools, teakettles, mixing bowls and other kitchen accessories. This collection reflects her immensely popular Southern approach to cooking and entertaining.

Paula Deen, award winning restaurateur, best-selling author, and TV celebrity cook has garnered widespread acclaim for her delicious down home cooking, seasoned with a generous dollop of Southern hospitality.

Last edited:
Her blog is here on DC. Maybe once she has a chance to spend some time on DC she may even sign up for an account and participate here (hint hint Paula :)).

I think this is fantastic..I love her down to earth quality, her laugh brightens my day..Her recipes are easy enough for anyone and so good...Butter and mayo...YUM:LOL: A great big WELCOME Paula Deen...
kadesma

Wow! That's pretty cool!!
I've often wondered if some of the top chefs or celebs lurk at these sites to see what people are talking about.

I love Paula Deen! I came close to being able to attend a book signing once, but it did not work out. At the time, I didn't really know who she was or I would have tried harder to make it work against all odds!

:)Barbara

A couple of years ago my husband and I were on our way back to Florida from a funeral in Arlington National Cemetery. Of course we drove through Savannah. Not thinking a thing about Miss Paula, we were hungry for some lunch. All of a sudden I let out a whoop and said "Over there! It's Paula Deens place! We have to eat there." Alas it wasn't to be. No parking anywhere and the line was out the door. But someday.....LOL!!
Almost everything The Lady cooks I say, "I'd eat that." Haha. Welcome to Paula.

I find the "more natural" format of the video clips to be quite interesting. Her entry from today with the Happy 4th of July greeting is an example where she's just chilling at home with her baseball cap on.

Frying chicken for 40 people!?!?

I just saw the buttermilk peach ice cream recipe! Gotta try that. Peach is a favorite of mine!

I just saw her 4th message..Very Paula, concern and care for others, and she looked like your best friend in her ball cap...I think having her here is going to be fun and a great learning experience.
kadesma

I find the "more natural" format of the video clips to be quite interesting. Her entry from today with the Happy 4th of July greeting is an example where she's just chilling at home with her baseball cap on.

Frying chicken for 40 people!?!?

Andy, I totally agree with you on that one! I am Canadian and I still felt she was talking to me LOL!! I love how relaxed she is and how she sounds like she really does care about each and every one of her audience.

But do you really think Paula Deen would have a problem frying chicken for 40 people? She seems to me the type that would a tougher time cooking for two! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom