Hot Puddings/Desserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh boy - FAR too hot for steamed puddings over here; it's been nearly 25 years since I tasted an authentic steamed pudding. Including Christmas pud, I might add. We always made ours the year before and let it "mature" for the next year...
Many traditional English (sweet) puds are made with suet.
Custard is the same as the Spanish "natilla" - except we UK geezers like it hot, not cold. The stuff I always bought was made by Bird's, if I remember rightly - and it had vanilla in it, too.

I suppose you could always use a Kentish term for you new sub-forum...
Mum used to cringe when we all cried out:
" What's for afters, then?":ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

But..... there seems to be a request for a BRITISH style hot-pudding forum..

Personally, I don't see the need! :) I just use the search facility at the top and see if anyone has posted a relevant recipe - or just add my latest recipe to the general section within the Desserts forum.... If there is a more relevant place, then I assume a Mod will move my recipe! After all, that's why they get paid the fortune they demand for doing the job...:ROFLMAO:

Ishbel said:

A Bakewell cake

A Bakewell pudding

I found it just no end of encouraging that the above, to me (that would be a Yank ... with English & Scottish roots) look like: a weirdly squat PIE and ... a COOKIE.

Can I again make a plea for defining "pudding," or, rather, since we did that through Wikipedia ... agreeing upon a definition? What particular characteristics unite all puddings?

Some pertinent questions seem to be:

-- Can a pudding be savory or sweet?
-- Can a pudding be hot or cold?
-- Is a pudding necessarily suet-based?
-- Is a pudding necessarily steamed?

We're NOT talking about "pudding" as used interchangeably with "dessert", right? We're not talking about a COURSE but rather, DISHES ... right?

My personal vote for a name for this sub-forum (IF it's merited, which kinda depends on the answers above): "Puddings" -- meaning, in quotes. That, or "English Puddings"

Hi all!

With regards to the language of Puddings, well, I am afraid the british themselves are divided on this too - it being a very British matter of class. In all working class and upper class families if its sweet and you eat it at the end of a meral its pudding! (whether pie, pudding, cake whatever.) My mother bristles if the would dessert is mentioned in England, but merrily tucks into it anywhere els4e in the world!

Yorkshire pudding can be made with meat juices, but more commonly is made without. It can be eaten traditionally, before the meat (to fill you up so that your meat bill is lower!) with the meat, as it now the most common way, or as a nursery "pudding" (lol) with golden syrup and cream.

As it is an international board I would suggest an appropriate forum name would be "hot desserts" which we brits and colonials can understand and the US and other members do not need translation for!

And now I have a cravinf for bakewell tart.....easily one of the loveliest things made in Britain.

Back
Top Bottom