"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 02-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
How do you manage your overflowing PM box?

Well maybe this is only a problem unique to me, about what to do with the messages when I have to make some space on the Private Message box...
I am just a hogger and like to keep everything on my record, and hate to just delete messages.
So I made a separate file in my Outlook Email account for storing PM from DC, then when I have to remove messages out of the PM box, copy each messages and send it to myself via email, then store them on my PM file.
It is not THAT much of a trouble but seems to me a bit roundabout and keep thinking there may be a more efficient way...

If there are any other message hoggers out there, what do you do with them?

Old 02-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You get a PM and respond to it. Now you have the original PM AND the reply which includes the original PM. You could delete the original and just keep the response. When the original PMer replies to your response, that PM contains all three PMs nad ou could delete the earlier copy...

Also, PMs are often chatty and don't contain critical information that has to be preserved unless they contain a recipe, etc. You could delete that type of message.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
You get a PM and respond to it. Now you have the original PM AND the reply which includes the original PM. You could delete the original and just keep the response. When the original PMer replies to your response, that PM contains all three PMs nad ou could delete the earlier copy....
Yes, I do that too... but still it comes a time that they exceed the capacity of the box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Also, PMs are often chatty and don't contain critical information that has to be preserved unless they contain a recipe, etc. You could delete that type of message.
Exactly, you are right and probably most people do it that way... it is just my silly whim, the nature of an information pack rat, I feel like keeping them all!! And I posed a question kinda sensing that maybe I am not the only one feeling this way..
Old 02-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You are only limited by your disk space.

I'm the opposite way, I delete stuff to keep my PM file nearly empty. There is no right or wrong.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I copy and paste them into my email also.. or just print the ones I want to save.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I read and delete it.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Good idea Urmaniac! I hardly ever delete. I checked once and I had over 900 PM's stored before I cleared them all!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

I just thought about that yesterday when I felt guilty cleaning out my pms!

And, to make matters worse, I just sent you another pm
Old 02-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I try to keep my box neat and tidy. I do have a few in there, only because they conatin information I want to refer to at a later date. I plan to create a notebook type thing for them and copy the information there. Then I shall delete them.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:51 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Well maybe this is only a problem unique to me, about what to do with the messages when I have to make some space on the Private Message box...
I am just a hogger and like to keep everything on my record, and hate to just delete messages.
So I made a separate file in my Outlook Email account for storing PM from DC, then when I have to remove messages out of the PM box, copy each messages and send it to myself via email, then store them on my PM file.
It is not THAT much of a trouble but seems to me a bit roundabout and keep thinking there may be a more efficient way...

If there are any other message hoggers out there, what do you do with them?
Urmaniac13 - I am a hogger too - I am confused - how do you send your pm's to yourself via email? Can you explain?