"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland
it may be easy to change the page if you dont like it; but this does not mean that everyone will do so.
If people do not choose to do so then that is their option. The option is there though and it is up to each individual user to set it up the best way for them.

Quote:
Or that everyone will know how to do so.
Michael spent the time to write out multiple ways it can be done. He was kind enough to do this for the benefit of the people who did not already know. This is a very friendly and helpful group of people. If someone has a question then they can post it and plenty of people will jump on and lend a hand.

Quote:
Or that everyone wants to spend time to do so.
It really doesn't take any time to change. Maybe 3 seconds at most if you are moving slowly.

I am not sure why your pages are loading so slowly, but I suspect it is computer specific. I had talked with many other people and none of them (myself included) notice the pages taking any extra time to load. Mine pop up right away with no hesitation. Have you run a program to scan your hard drive for spyware lately? That might be a good first step.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
As a geek and a person that builds computers in his spare time I can honestly say its JPs computer that is the problem with load times. I would recommend that JP follow the above instructions that Elf gave.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
jp - it is purely up to you if you want to change the bookmark opening page - it's VERY easily done - like GB said - 3 seconds if you take your time.

I have broadband - my pages load VERY fast - but they do load slowly IF I need to clean up and delete my files, clean my cache, defrag, etc. And some sites took more time than others, just depends on how much info is on there. But once clean it will run much faster. You might need to do a spyware check - that will REALLY slow things down.

All anyone has to do here is ask - and someone will answer.

If you don't want to change your bookmark to this page then there's really nothing anyone can do.

Have you tried performing a really good system clean lately?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #14
Master Chef

My Grandpa had a couple of expressions he liked to use that would seem to fit here:

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink."

"Some folks would complain if they were hung with a new rope."
Old 03-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #15
Sous Chef

How did gramps describe it when people expect everyone else to do it exactly they do it?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
My grandfather would say "quit complaining, there are more imporatant things in life. Challange yourself and make it work for you. If it works for the masses then why not you?" Then he would smack me in the back of the head and say "Be a man!"
Old 03-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #17
Executive Chef

The last time I checked, we have the freedom of speech. I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer to be my own person, not a cookie cutter person following the masses blindly with "YES SIR". Why have a "Forum Help and Ideas" page where people would be afrad to speak up for fear of retribution? Come on, we all have a voice in this forum. Let us all be heard, please.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

No one is saying you need to "blindly follow the masses with YES SIR". No one is saying you can not voice your opinions. The fact remains that the forum has a new format and we are not going back to the way it was. The majority of the people here think this is a wonderful change. For those that do not like it, we have tried to offer suggestions on how we can make it better for you. You can chose to try those options or not. That is completely up to you. I, for one, sure hope you at least give the suggestions a try.

jpinmaryland, no one is telling you to do it exactly how everyone else does it. As a matter of fact we have given you suggestion for the exact opposite. We suggested you change your bookmark to the page you would prefer to open when you come to the site. This is an easy change to make that would solve one of your issues. There were even instructions posted for multiple ways of doing this. If you need help then feel free to PM me and I will be happy to walk you through it to make it more user friendly for you.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef

JP, hang with us and take it easy! I hated the change and I b*tched a lot but it turns out that this an extremely user friendly place. I'm computer illiterate, if I can figure it out so can you! Don't be afraid to ask for help!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:16 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
How did gramps describe it when people expect everyone else to do it exactly they do it?
Oh, he would probably break out the story about the college professor and the mental patient.

Seems that one day a very prominent Physics professor, top in his field, was on his way to a lecture at a college where they were going to pay him lots of money for his lecture, when he gets a flat tire beside a mental hospital. He get's out, jacks the car up, and begins removing the lug nuts. He removes the first one and lays it down on the ground. Then, as he begins to remove the second one he kicks the first one and it rolls into the storm drain.

A voice over his shoulder says, "You know, if you turned your hub cap upside down you could put your lug nuts in it and you wouldn't lose them."

Well, looking over his shoulder and seeing the voice came from a patient the professor dismisses his advice and proceedes as he was. By the time he has removed all 5 lug nuts and replaced the tire with the spare ... he's managed to kick all of the lug nuts down the drain. As he stands there scratching his head wondering what to do - again comes the voice from behind him ....

"You know, you could take 1 lug nut off each tire and that would hold the tire on so that you could drive to the garage a couple of miles down the road and get more lug nuts."

What did this loonie know? So, the professor proceeds to walk to the garage, get some lug nuts, and walks back. He get's them on and drives away ... late for his lecture, and lost the fee he was going to be paid to deliver it."

Moral of the story: Even a "wise" man can learn something from a "fool".