"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Sous Chef

I dont like the new format..

The new thing I notice is the new page: Latest Forum Topics or whatever it's called when you open the home page.

First off it is repetitive, its really the same thing that you would find when you go to the forum topic by topic section in the first place. The topical arrangement is what I use and I am accustomed to it and I dont get anything out ofa seperate list of forum topics or whatever.

Moreover, this site already has a problem with screen rebuilds! I know, I am on a broad band connection and most of my favorite websites build themselves in a second or two. This site is noticeably slower, perhaps 4 or 5 sec. not sure. But now you've added another extraneous page between the home page and topics. This simply adds another screen rebuild with more added time.

This is the kind of thing that drives off new membership. Not my theory, just to go to any discussion board about websites. Having longer screeen rebuilds will hurt your chance to grow.

The other thing, is that when you scroll back, say I am on a particular recipe under chicken...When I scroll back using the links at the top of page:

Discuss Cooking>Discuss Cooking Forums>etc

instead of getting back to the list of topics, the first link back is to that **** Latest Forum Topics or whatever it is. Once again another screen rebuild that takes valuable time. So you have added rebuild time onto my surfing as go both into and out of a thread. Not good.

It's like whoever is working on the website found some new bells and whistles to add to the site, that make it look neater from a designer stand pt. but in reality nothing of substance has been added and you've decreased useability. This too, is a well known website type of problem.

So please, I love the site, but you've added more download time for me and already I am spending less time here.

why not work on decreasing the time it takes to rebuild the screen? This would be a functional improvement.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
jp - I will pass on your concerns to the site owner. Your explanation will help him in understanding what is going on.

I have broadband and my pages load very fast. So I'm not sure what the problem is. Unless you need to defrag, clear your cookies, and just do a regular/routine system clean up.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Gosh, JP , WE are ALL hving to Adjust to these new changes, as in all things in life, It is "human Nature" to resist (however, I agree, with Kitchenelf, perhaps, you PC needs (de-frag, etc. Also I feel, We ALL need to"voice our opinions" That's Why DC is Soon to be #1!!!!! Vote 5 Stars!!! Atomic Jed!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'll echo what JP said about the Latest Forum Topics being somewhat of a waste. I often do find that page redundant since I can find that info other places, quicker and more accurately. Though I don't see a change in how fast my pages are loading.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
Master Chef

Geeze - this ain't rocket science ....

If you don't like the DC homepage (with the latest forum activity list) and want to go directly into the forums page ... change your link!

You can do this one of two ways:

1. Right-Click on where you have your link to DC (which is probably www.discusscooking.com - the new home page) and click on "Properties" ... then add "/forums/index.php?" .... so the URL reads: www.discusscooking.com/forums/index.php?

2. Delete your current DC link, then go to www.discusscooking.com/forums/index.php? and click on "Favorites" and then click on "add"
Old 03-22-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Great advice Michael!

I, for one, love that new page now. I didn't like it at first, but after a little while I got used to it and now I love it. It makes it much easier for me to see what is new at a glance.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Michael - double duh - that's what I did too. Thanks for taking the time to explain things here - I have dubbed MJ "handyman" and I will dub you "Mr. Informative"

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:38 AM   #8
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Thanks Michael for that tip! I've been offline for close to a month now, and what do I encounter when I log back on? Everything looks different! That index page was getting on my nerves until I got your tip! It feels much more familiar now! Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Personally I LOVE the "Latest Forum Topics". I went directly to this topic from it.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
Sous Chef

it may be easy to change the page if you dont like it; but this does not mean that everyone will do so. Or that everyone will know how to do so. Or that everyone wants to spend time to do so.

people use the internet because it's fast and easy, they may not want to reconfigure stuff.

I dont know why my screen rebuilds are so long on this site. the problem doesnt seem to occur on other sites though....anyone else?