I know I am brand new to this board........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess we can speak in specifics, since I see this is a "heated" topic.

Yes, in general, recipes are easily scaled down, and that's perhaps why ppl spoke "against" a separate forum.

However, bigger is better, in some cases - like a chile or stew - and for honeycake, you can't double the recipe at all.

Maybe we could have a forum for small recipes that have to be made small. How would that suit everyone ?

What we try to do with forums though is only create them when there is a large need. We get many complaints that we already have too many forums and that it is hard to navigate the site as it is. Because of that we only create new forums when there is a big need. Most recipes can be scaled down or scaled up. It is the exception to the rule when it can not be done so because of that a forum would not be needed as it would not be a big need.

If you ever have a recipe that you would like to scale down then you are free to post it in the existing forum that works for it. For example, if you wanted to scale down a lasagna recipe then you could post it in the pasta forum and ask how to scale it down.

When I post recipes, although I'm new here so no one can know, is that I say in the recipe that I post:

double and triples well

and/or

freezes well.

But not everyone thinks like that.

IF and IF is a big word, if people would state that, it would eliminate the need for a separate forum.

Note that there are cook books for smaller portions, however.
There is some need/market for that.

Seems like times have changed and before there were so many bigger families living in big houses, and now there are more single people and single parents. I just am going from my experience. Also the population has a large group of 'baby boomers', so older people many of them looking for healthy recipes.
My sister, was an editor at Reiman Publications that was bought out by Reader's Digest, I believe they were or have looked at a new magazine for cooking for smaller households. I think it was cooking for 2. (I looked it up, it was in 2005, cooking for two)
In any case, I've gone from my childhood home of cooking for 6, to married with kids for 5, now single and renting rooms with an almost grown up kid so 3 of us to now with my son moving back, 4 of us. I think it is easier to cook for more people than for less and when I'm back to 1 or 2 people, I'm not used to cooking small meals--so I tend to skip cooking. My grocery list is off, I can't get good discounts on volume when I'm not cooking in volume and I tend to cook large on the week-ends and freeze things for warming up later or for lunches.
The demographics of households are changing, and it's changing the way we cook. I wish we did have a forum of 'cooking for 2'--35 ways to use a rotisserie chicken, how to have salads without them becoming boring (additional ingredients used in other main courses perhaps), OAMC--once a month cooking--so meals are available on the weekday after work, 15 ways to make ground turkey meals (or ground beef), packing lunches by making 20 sandwiches that can be frozen and tips about that for variety, packaging things bought in bulk, tips --like not expecting a small family to eat the same dish night after night, how to package things for the freezer and what will freeze well and not degrade. More healthy recipes, casseroles and heart healthy casseroles, and low carb soups (get your 3 cups of veggies per day), things that are high in nutrition/dollar and per calorie (organics).
Even though I'm blessed to have 4 people to cook 'with and for', I'm very aware of going through times where it's just me or just me and one other person and that makes cooking more difficult.
I remember when my grandmother on my dad's side lost her husband-my grandfather. She stopped cooking and started eating what tasted good--donuts. Over time, she developed a B vitamin deficiency, then cancer and it overtook her. I think as we age our taste buds change and her's did, and she 'got by' instead of investing in nutrition for herself. I hope I'm smarter and do better than that for myself and my family. (okay that was as much of an emotional plea as you are going to see)
I just think times are changing, households aren't as large and they are aging. Something to meet those needs might be nice too.
I'm supportive of a forum for 'cooking for two'.
~Blissful (yakked out)

The easiest and simplest way to get what you want and need here at DC.

• ASKl
  • look around here and observe us
you will find the nicest people on any forum..You don't need more forums, just ask and you shall receive...with a smile and a how are you.

kadesma:)

as i said, i will gladly post on my recipe the details about doubling/halfing/freeezing - maybe others can too.

i am old and live alone. i think it is important for me to eat well, to stay healthy.

one can do a lot with small amounts of chicken and fish,cooked many ways, for only one or two.

i save the large dishes spag. corned beef, chili, and large batchs of anything for when i have guests. these guests are usually my grandkids and grown kids.

when i am really really hungry for a dish that makes a lot, bean soap , etc. i call my son to come and get some for his family. he is more than glad to do so. means he has one less meal to prepare.

i send leftovers home with guests, keeping only enough for two or so meals for myself. sometimes i freeze leftover in one person portions and that works well.

not a big fan of huge chunks of beef anyway. only a steak once in awhile.
roasts for company.

there is a way to do it, find recipes on line for two or ask someone here.

i am sorta on the fence about another forum or thread here.

babe:chef:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom