"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I can see that typos are often made from mobile devices.
Or netbooks with small keyboards...or late at night after a glass of wine...

I'm part of a writers and editors forum...gosh forbid if your post has a typo! The "list bullys" beat you up. In my professional life, I am an editor and writer. Even we make mistakes. I think tolerance is important--there are many people on this list from other countries or for whom English is not their native language. Writing in another language is the last skill one masters and is the hardest to master. I would rather see people post than not post because they are afraid their English isn't good enough. I hate it when I see a typo in one of my posts after the time limit has passed to edit it--I hang my head in embarassment. Can we add a spell checker to the options?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I wouldn't worry about the edit note - posts are edited all the time and for all kinds of reasons - mostly additions and typos.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...I hate it when I see a typo in one of my posts after the time limit has passed to edit it--I hang my head in embarassment. Can we add a spell checker to the options?

I understand your EMBARRASSMENT.

Check this thread: Spell Checker Function
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I see the red lined misspellings, but not an add to dictionary. Also the red lined misspellings are occasionally wrong.

When repeated red lines come up with various spellings, I google for the correct one, and it usually is the first spelling I came up with, so it's not infallible. This has happened on a couple of occasions. I'd really have liked to add the correct spelling to the dictionary.

As a secretary I prided myself on my punctuation, grammar and spelling so I too really, really hate finding I made an error after the 20 minute limit.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

I'm part of a writers and editors forum...gosh forbid if your post has a typo! The "list bullys" beat you up. In my professional life, I am an editor and writer. Even we make mistakes. I think tolerance is important--there are many people on this list from other countries or for whom English is not their native language. Writing in another language is the last skill one masters and is the hardest to master. I would rather see people post than not post because they are afraid their English isn't good enough. I hate it when I see a typo in one of my posts after the time limit has passed to edit it--I hang my head in embarassment. Can we add a spell checker to the options?
I don't mind the bad spelling or grammar, unless it makes it hard to understand what the person means.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I see the red lined misspellings, but not an add to dictionary. Also the red lined misspellings are occasionally wrong.

When repeated red lines come up with various spellings, I google for the correct one, and it usually is the first spelling I came up with, so it's not infallible. This has happened on a couple of occasions. I'd really have liked to add the correct spelling to the dictionary.

As a secretary I prided myself on my punctuation, grammar and spelling so I too really, really hate finding I made an error after the 20 minute limit.
I used to use an add-on with Firefox. It worked fine. Now I use the built in spell checker with Chrome and I can right click to add words or change language. I think I had to download the extra languages (French, UK English, Danish, Swedish), or maybe I just chose them in some setting.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

well said, cws!

lol, i don't know why, but the phrase "dislexics untie!" comes to mind...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
well said, cws!

lol, i don't know why, but the phrase "dislexics untie!" comes to mind...
I once saw a graffito that read, "Lysdexia!"
Old 04-05-2011, 12:53 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
...or late at night after a glass of wine...
GAH!! Izz u peckin' on meh?!

Seriously though, I am on a few other forums, &, the ability to re-edit our posts at any time is quite a simple thing to do. It used to bother me to bits when I ran across a typo-o. Here, I just have to "live w/it", & move on. I REALLY do wish we could edit. I vote to "lift the ban" on that 20 min. rule!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #20
Head Chef

I try not to let it bother me, but it does. Maybe this is too subtle or sensitive, but an edit gives a trace impression, that maybe it's not just minor corrections like typos, but that my post's content, information or opinion was, and still is mostly, wrong. Even if that's a negligible subconscious impression, I'd prefer to avoid it. If I feel it best or necessary, I'll instead copy the text, delete instead of edit, and re-reply with a paste and more careful edit before committing the post. But again, mostly I try to shrug it off and move on.