"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
GAH!! Izz u peckin' on meh?!

Seriously though, I am on a few other forums, &, the ability to re-edit our posts at any time is quite a simple thing to do. It used to bother me to bits when I ran across a typo-o. Here, I just have to "live w/it", & move on. I REALLY do wish we could edit. I vote to "lift the ban" on that 20 min. rule!
If the edit is important, you can always PM any moderator and we can made the correction for you - no charge and with a smile.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,702
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Fewer edits are needed if you use preview and read it through before posting.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #23
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
If the edit is important, you can always PM any moderator and we can made the correction for you - no charge and with a smile.
Umm... I have 550 posts that I'd really like to have edited for a correct spelling of "hors d'oerve."
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Umm... I have 550 posts that I'd really like to have edited for a correct spelling of "hors d'oerve."
Does that mean you spelled it correctly in 4 posts, or did you have 4 posts without the term?
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 35,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Umm... I have 550 posts that I'd really like to have edited for a correct spelling of "hors d'oerve."
First we have to find a mod that can spell it correctly, I always have to look it up.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: joisey
Posts: 18,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Fewer edits are needed if you use preview and read it through before posting.
i try to do that when i respond from my droid.
i fat finger that tiny software keyboard so often that preview is almost a necessity, but there's not always time.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #27
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
Umm... I have 550 posts that I'd really like to have edited for a correct spelling of "hors d'oerve."
Lol Spork! Isn't it spelled "appetizer"?
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #28
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 161
Honestly though, unless we begin to get some sort of "good time" credit for being punctual...does is HONESTLY matter if something is misspelled? As mentioned before, I type insane things sometimes...I try to put the (sp)? when I am sure that I could be wrong, but...hey - thats life...I'm no spelling major, just someone who enjoys posting w/internet "friends". I really don't care HOW ya'll post, ...just the fact that ya'll DO post!!
__________________
Midnight_Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Interesting comments on the editing. I also rarely use the Preview button. I have seen a typo or two and was able to quickly go into my post and edit it without the "last edited by" footnote appearing. You gotta be quick though.
I run a Google taskbar and the spellcheck allows you to ignore or add words, just like Word.
Anyway, the edit time doesn't bother me. If I didin't press my laptops keys hard enough and there's a typo or nospace between words, so be it. If there's is a recipe I posted that I would like to add a pic with or change something I'll ask a mod. There are enough "edited by" on this forum that it almost looks out of place to have a clean post, lol.

On the cursor thing though... I put in my vote to leave it as is. The right side of the screen is a safe haven for my cursor, so that I can scroll the page using the arrow keys without activating the first few lines of text on every message.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Interesting comments on the editing. I also rarely use the Preview button. I have seen a typo or two and was able to quickly go into my post and edit it without the "last edited by" footnote appearing. You gotta be quick though.
I run a Google taskbar and the spellcheck allows you to ignore or add words, just like Word.
Anyway, the edit time doesn't bother me. If I didin't press my laptops keys hard enough and there's a typo or nospace between words, so be it. If there's is a recipe I posted that I would like to add a pic with or change something I'll ask a mod. There are enough "edited by" on this forum that it almost looks out of place to have a clean post, lol.

On the cursor thing though... I put in my vote to leave it as is. The right side of the screen is a safe haven for my cursor, so that I can scroll the page using the arrow keys without activating the first few lines of text on every message.

Thanks for expressing some of my thoughts, Pac. I'll edit for my own satisfaction (picky), but basically what I'd been trying to express is who cares? It's the content I'm interested in, not who can spell better.

I've tried the preview. It's no better than the message form IMO and doesn't show the way the post will show as well as the actual post.

I've had to teach myself to keep my cursor away from the links. It's disconcerting to have things flash into and out of view, and my bad habit is pointing at what I'm reading.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.