Is the double-spacing when writing posts a normal thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
Or is there a setting somewhere in the user cp to shut that off?

When I create a post, I often have to go back and edit, closing an extra space between the paragraphs so it's not widely spread apart (like I did with this one). While it's not a huge burden or anything, it *is* rather annoying.

It looks normally spaced before the post is submitted, but then it spreads itself out once it's posted and I have to go back and fix it.

Go to your user "CP" at the top left of this page. Click on "Edit Options" in the left pane.
Scroll down to "Miscellaneous Options". > Message Editor Interface> then choose "Basic" or "Standard Editor".
I bet you have it set to "Enhanced Interface". Change this choice to basic or standard.

It fixed mine some months ago. Hope it helps you.

Test and now a return which takes it to the next line.
Test and now a second return which takes it to the next line.
Test3 is the third line.

Oh.....You will loose some functionality with basic or standard editor. But its no big deal and should correct your issue.

Second test and now 2 returns to give a paragraph space.

Second test second line (should be one empty line between this and last line. 2 returns for a paragraph space.

last line.

Yeah, I am posting the tests and this in the quick reply, and it gives me 2 empty lines instead of one. When I write it, I get only one empty line between paragraphs but when it shows up, 2 returns will give 2 full empty lines. I see what you mean.

Yeah, I am posting the tests and this in the quick reply, and it gives me 2 empty lines instead of one. When I write it, I get only one empty line between paragraphs but when it shows up, 2 returns will give 2 full empty lines. I see what you mean.
It doesn't appear that way on my tablet. Maybe it depends on the device people are using to view DC.

I have noticed that recently recipe posts have a double space between the ingredients, even if they weren't entered that way. Screenshot_20181214-124202.jpg

Testing using Standard Interface.

Blah blah (which is what I say most of the time anyway, so yeah :LOL:)

Blah blah blah.

Edit: Bones, it worked! Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
I have had the same thing happen since I've been on this forum. The spaces between paragraphs have been double, and even more at times. Sometimes, I would edit, and it would reduce the space, but other times, it would stay the same. I'll try changing the settings when I get back on my PC.

Go to your user "CP" at the top left of this page. Click on "Edit Options" in the left pane.
Scroll down to "Miscellaneous Options". > Message Editor Interface> then choose "Basic" or "Standard Editor".
I bet you have it set to "Enhanced Interface". Change this choice to basic or standard.

It fixed mine some months ago. Hope it helps you.

These were the instructions Bones posted on how to fix the double spacing issue and mine, as Bones suspected, was set on "enhanced interface." Once I changed it to "standard interface" it fixed the spacing problem.

Hope this helps :)

Interesting thread, Linda!

Funny, I never thought much about it until now - but I'm not very computer literate. :ermm::LOL: I have noticed though, that when I post using FireFox, I get those large spaces between paragraphs, and when I hit 'preview' to check for errors, I notice it and backspace to close the gaps before hitting 'submit'. IE doesn't do that - it uses single spacing and there are no large gaps.

I'll try RollBones suggestion on how to fix that. Thank you all!

Interesting thread, Linda!

Funny, I never thought much about it until now - but I'm not very computer literate. :ermm::LOL: I have noticed though, that when I post using FireFox, I get those large spaces between paragraphs, and when I hit 'preview' to check for errors, I notice it and backspace to close the gaps before hitting 'submit'. IE doesn't do that - it uses single spacing and there are no large gaps.

I'll try RollBones suggestion on how to fix that. Thank you all!

I use Firefox and what you described above is exactly what I was doing with every single post. Since switching from "enhanced" to "standard" interface, I can now freely make a post without worrying about all that silliness.

Back
Top Bottom