"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Charlie, I did what you suggested and logged out. I now see what you are talking about. I had never noticed it because i am always logged in when here as I have no reason to log out.

It looks like those links are Ads and are also a way of encouraging people to become members. Once you are a member then you log in and do not see those ads so it is a benefit of the free membership.

As for the pop ups being unnecessary, if it were not for those pop ups then you would need to pay a monthly fee to use this site. It is very expensive to keep a site like this running. Andy is kind enough to let us use this site without paying a penny. We are quite lucky in that regard.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
Executive Chef

This is not my computer.

It's a loner until mine is restored back to when it was first set up (new) two years ago. It has no protection against ads and pop-ups, which BTW , IS very annoying.

There IS help though. Norton Internet Security, which came with MY pc, can help stop those aggravating pop-ups and ads! I'd install it in this one, but it's at my friend's house. All the software that came with the pc must be reinstalled.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry
GB==There is nothing wrong with my compuer.
I maker a concerted effort to do my maintance and scans reguarly.
May I suggest you read a few messages with out logging on.
(See Andy's post).
I tried to copy a few of the links to post in this mesage but clicking on them sent me to the link.

The POP Up's are another, I feel, unecessary thing we have to contend with. But I guess the site needs the revenue.

Thanks,
Charlie
SPAM!!! You see those advertisements a lot during the midnight hours. Someone has removed them now. I was surprised to see them during the day. (obviously not GB who removed them!)
Old 05-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

These are not spam StriBlue. There is a difference between spam and legitimate advertising. This site is paid for my advertising. Unless you would like to start paying $30 a month and get everyone else to do the same then we need advertising to keep this site up and running. It is very expensive to run a site like this.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sorry GB, I was referring to the computer sales that were on earlier. The problems that I have encountered are with some of the links posted that contain virus. The other source is people who send those "chain" e-mails to you. Never open the chain e-mails. And if the link is not related to a cooking site, you may want to leave it alone too. By the time you realize the problem, you do have to perform a PC Recovery....and that is no fun.