"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
Head Chef

I'd like to see something of the opposite too...

A quote must accompany any links to stories, news or recipes, unless the link
text is self evident. HATE having to wonder what the link is all about.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

What makes it difficult for me is when very large pictures are quoted two or three times in a thread. If I am replying to a post with pictures, I quote the text, delete the pictures and refer to them. But that is just a personal pet peeve.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I would suggest to limit the quotes only to exact point person needs to make, instead of quoting the whole page (I am being fictitious here, but it does happen). It would save a lot of space for forum, I mean the server, Iím sure it is important. Of course I could be wrong and we have an unlimited amount of space there.
There is a topic that we need to have a long answer . I fun of doing that .. I just to share what i have learn and read from some article you! I love reading book specially bio so maybe i can share what i learned in a long phrase ..heheh
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I'm so glad to see this addressed. Several times I've come looking for ideas only to see page after page of quotes and pictures replied to over and over. I usually just leave fed up with the fact that there is so much to search thru to find the real interesting ideas. I don't mind seeing a picture of a dish that is interesting, but there has been too much to be interesting lately.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Master Chef

i eventually begin ignoring those posts & those people that post them like i'd ignore spam postings. very annoying.
there's those that don't get plain, simple etiquette. people like that exist in many places, though.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
It really was not my idea. The other forum I go to made that a policy, specifically becaue the space on their server cost money. Like I said before maybe it is free here, but if not we should try to fallow it. Thanks Alix.
Hey what if we would like to share more ? and we have a long explanation ?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
He is not saying that you should not quote what you have to. He is only saying that you should not quote things that don't need to be quoted. People will sometimes quote 5 paragraphs when really they only needed to quote one sentence to make their point.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #18
Master Chef

I am not talking about what you sharing, I am talking about "qouting" post above, when you respond to somebody. You do not need to qoute the whole post with gazilion picrures and G-d knows what else. All you need is a small portion to wich you are directly responding, or even simply persons' name to respond. There is absolutely no problem with posting a page long post, but if somebody decides to post a responce to your post and qoutes the whole thing it is a complete and unneccesary waist.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
All you need is a small portion to wich you are directly responding, or even simply persons' name to respond.
I agree.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
CookLikeJulia, KISS is the best policy on message boards. Folks stop reading after a paragraph or so. Quote only what is necessary and keep your explanations short. Post two or three short posts rather than one long one to get your message across. You can edit anything you quote, just highlight what you DON'T need and hit backspace. That way you only reference the important stuff.