"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
My guess is that it has something to do with some ad trying to load. I'm averaging a solid minute until the script message pops up.
You may just be right Craig. Where the ads are usually at the top and on the right, I keep getting the space filled with Asian characters. I know when I am up during an all nighter, I often find posts that are really ads in disguise from an Asian country. I report them immediately and they are gone pronto before any day folks even know they were there. I have to give kudos to our techies who are on the ball except for this one time. It seems to be taking them longer than usual to solve this problem. But I am patient. And I know they are trying.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I get the large banner ad across the top with Chinese characters in it about 50% of the time, but that doesn't bother me so much because I never look at them anyway... unless I notice it is tracking an item I recently looked at on Amazon, then they are pretty noticeable. It's that whole big brother is watching thing.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I get the large banner ad across the top with Chinese characters in it about 50% of the time, but that doesn't bother me so much because I never look at them anyway... unless I notice it is tracking an item I recently looked at on Amazon, then they are pretty noticeable. It's that whole big brother is watching thing.
I don't have to have placed an order anywhere. All I have to do is type the words say, "Knife Sets" and the next post I open, there will be an ad for knives. But this Asian character thing is new with this long script thing. Big Brother definitely.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Wine Guy

I will all but guarantee these problems are related to ads. As for Java and JavaScript, the two are completely unrelated, other than having a similar sounding name.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: AdBlock Plus.

Install it on your browser and all of these problems you're experiencing will magically go away. No more Chinese ads. No more long running script errors. It's easy peasy and FREE.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I will all but guarantee these problems are related to ads. As for Java and JavaScript, the two are completely unrelated, other than having a similar sounding name.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: AdBlock Plus.

Install it on your browser and all of these problems you're experiencing will magically go away. No more Chinese ads. No more long running script errors. It's easy peasy and FREE.
Ditto. I have no issues at all.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Well if you put it that way, Steve...
But let's face it, ad related = forum related. I belong to some pretty ad heavy forums... ones that also track your searches... and none have the constant nagging issues of lag times that this one does. I don't think it is simply advertisements as much as it is advertisements trying to find a way around the ad blockers I am already running.

Off to install yet another ad blocker...
Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Head Chef

Also, Do Not Track Me.com
Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

hmmm, don't see it for IE...
Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
hmmm, don't see it for IE...
Same here, thats why I went to, do not track me.com
I installed it last week and it has blocked over 10,000 adds.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
Everymom

Install Firefox. I promise you won't regret it and you will in fact give yourself a forehead slap for not doing it before now. Faster, easier to manage, better add ons, and it will import all your current bookmarks. Easy peasy.

Bet you a beer you'll love it within a week.