Long script running?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Yesterday or the day before the forum suddenly bogged down for me. It takes *forever* for a page to load and I get a bar that appears saying something about a long script running (or something like that). Until that script loads I can't even scroll.

Any ideas? No pop ups or anything, just that invisible long script.

Me too. I just posted about it on Stray Thoughts. My son installed the latest Java program, so I know it is not the problem. The problem seems to be with DC. My son said if installing the latest Java, then the problem was with DC. I click on the 'Stop Running' and I still have to wait about ten seconds or a little longer before I can make any moves.

Are you listening DC Techies? :angel:

Ive been getting a dialog box that ask me "Stop running this script?" In fact it took me about 30 seconds to get this screen. The box goes on to say that a script on this spage is causing my web browser to run slowly.

okay, I have gotten that dialog box twice while trying to make this post. I take that as a message to go do something else!

I think the powers that be may just be trying to fix the problem. That little place down at the bottom to "Contact Us" and report a problem is missing. They may be tired of getting reports and have temporarily removed it. :angel:

I wonder if it is something to do with the latest update to Java. I haven't been getting this problem (recently), but I haven't updated my Java.

My guess is that it has something to do with some ad trying to load. I'm averaging a solid minute until the script message pops up.

My guess is that it has something to do with some ad trying to load. I'm averaging a solid minute until the script message pops up.

You may just be right Craig. Where the ads are usually at the top and on the right, I keep getting the space filled with Asian characters. I know when I am up during an all nighter, I often find posts that are really ads in disguise from an Asian country. I report them immediately and they are gone pronto before any day folks even know they were there. I have to give kudos to our techies who are on the ball except for this one time. It seems to be taking them longer than usual to solve this problem. But I am patient. And I know they are trying. :angel:

I get the large banner ad across the top with Chinese characters in it about 50% of the time, but that doesn't bother me so much because I never look at them anyway... unless I notice it is tracking an item I recently looked at on Amazon, then they are pretty noticeable. It's that whole big brother is watching thing.

I get the large banner ad across the top with Chinese characters in it about 50% of the time, but that doesn't bother me so much because I never look at them anyway... unless I notice it is tracking an item I recently looked at on Amazon, then they are pretty noticeable. It's that whole big brother is watching thing.

I don't have to have placed an order anywhere. All I have to do is type the words say, "Knife Sets" and the next post I open, there will be an ad for knives. But this Asian character thing is new with this long script thing. Big Brother definitely. :angel:

I will all but guarantee these problems are related to ads. As for Java and JavaScript, the two are completely unrelated, other than having a similar sounding name.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: AdBlock Plus.

Install it on your browser and all of these problems you're experiencing will magically go away. No more Chinese ads. No more long running script errors. It's easy peasy and FREE.

Last edited:
I will all but guarantee these problems are related to ads. As for Java and JavaScript, the two are completely unrelated, other than having a similar sounding name.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: AdBlock Plus.

Install it on your browser and all of these problems you're experiencing will magically go away. No more Chinese ads. No more long running script errors. It's easy peasy and FREE.

Ditto. I have no issues at all.

Well if you put it that way, Steve...
But let's face it, ad related = forum related. I belong to some pretty ad heavy forums... ones that also track your searches... and none have the constant nagging issues of lag times that this one does. I don't think it is simply advertisements as much as it is advertisements trying to find a way around the ad blockers I am already running.

Off to install yet another ad blocker...

Install Firefox. I promise you won't regret it and you will in fact give yourself a forehead slap for not doing it before now. Faster, easier to manage, better add ons, and it will import all your current bookmarks. Easy peasy.

Bet you a beer you'll love it within a week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom