"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 10-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I use chrome and never have issues with any of the very large threads. The only way that I could see that happening is if it was trying to load every post all at once instead of the page that you are viewing, is that even possible?

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

That's what I was wondering as well.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Senior Cook

It is not my connection speed, it is this site and only this site (re how slow the pages are to load).

And my FF is fully updated with all security updates. So is my anti-virus software, which I run regularly.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
Senior Cook

FF ESR is for anybody who hates rapid release and having to "fix" whatever the latest breakage to the interface is THIS time, LOL! At least this way I only have to fix things once every few months, instead of every few days.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
KB, you can limit the number of posts shows on a page. Click User CP and under Edit Options, at the bottom of the page, select how many posts to show. hth.
Yeah, it's the total length of the thread that seems to be throwing my browser into conniptions. It doesn't seem like it SHOULD - but it does. The only thing I can see different about that thread is the total length - and that DOES affect how long it takes to populate the scrolling list of all thread entries that is displayed right above the postings, which is what you are talking about. The number of postings actually displayed is immaterial - it's that 6k long list of "what's for supper" that is bolluxing things up, LOL!

But the thread has been broken out so hopefully that will solve my problem!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Master Chef

Site Administrator

If you have changed the number of posts displayed (to something other than the default 10) you might be hitting a bug that is known in vB. You can change your pagination back to 10 then reset back to the higher number and that usually fixes things.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #17
Master Chef

FWIW, I use Google on an Asus notebook and have whatever the latest update is. Never a problem with that, or any, thread. A lot of us don't have any problems in spite of your issues. Hmm, maybe you're getting ALL the problems on your PC? And I thank you for that!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
FWIW, I use Google on an Asus notebook and have whatever the latest update is. Never a problem with that, or any, thread. A lot of us don't have any problems in spite of your issues. Hmm, maybe you're getting ALL the problems on your PC? And I thank you for that!
Do you mean Chrome? Google is a search engine and software developer.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
If you have changed the number of posts displayed (to something other than the default 10) you might be hitting a bug that is known in vB. You can change your pagination back to 10 then reset back to the higher number and that usually fixes things.
If I did, I don't remember doing so - and can't find a place to change it now.

Regardless, a 6k long thread going back 8 years is a bit much - and since the thread has been split, I no longer have any problem loading it. No more locking up!

Consider the likelihood that anyone coming across the thread who found it to be crashing their browser just didn't bother coming back to the forum any more, also.

However, it is more likely one of my security settings than anything else. Probably one of the ones that limits the amount of memory any given foreign site is allowed to use for cookies and whatnot.

The current thread, while still really long (long enough that nobody is going to read through the whole thing, plus since the topic is pretty time-limited anyway, there's no real reason to do such a thing), is much more manageable - or maybe less UNmanageable, LOL!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I hope things will smooth out for you. I will say that I regularly participate on the Song Title Game thread which has over 1200 pages and I have never experienced slow loading or crashing.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote