"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
In light of the recent page-jacking incident, is there a way to that threads can be set to be members only / public? If so, then would it be possible for the OP to request / select "Members Only" when starting a new thread? (So the entire thread would be either Public or Members Only).

Internet forums are great and allow you to interact with a varied group of people. They're not a place for private conversations. If I want to be devious and nasty, all I have to do is sign up. Then all your 'private' conversations are available to me.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think she means that when someone starts a thread they would have the option to make that particular thread private, not necessarily all new threads.
Ah yes, I went back and read the original post and I think you are correct.

Some forums have a few "teaser" areas that are left open to the public, but all the good stuff (in our case, recipes, photos, etc.) is restricted to registered members. The teasers are there to entice new members.

In any case, I suppose it's someone else's decision.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I am not sure that marking a thread as private would be conducive to the sharing we all try to do here. And it would not stop someone who would steal from creating an account then doing the theft anyway.

I am also not sure this is a native function or if we would have to engage developer time.

Thank you for the suggestion and trying to think outside the box on helping us avoid issues like this in the future.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't want to post pix of myself and family where they can be seen by everyone. Okay, someone can sign up and see them, but they wouldn't get indexed by search engines in a members only topic.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think she means that when someone starts a thread they would have the option to make that particular thread private, not necessarily all new threads.
"She' means that to view certain threads, one would have to be a member. One currently can view all threads, but can't post a response unless one is a member. And, evidently, one can page-jack threads without being a member. Why can people view posts without being a member but can't post a response unless a member?

"She" is very protective of her privacy--has an unlisted, unpublished phone #, checks regularly to make sure her info doesn't appear on the web, etc.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I wonder how restricting the sight to members only would affect new folks coming in......I only found our great site by googling for a recipe, if recipes were not public then interested people might not find us at all.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I wonder how restricting the sight to members only would affect new folks coming in......I only found our great site by googling for a recipe, if recipes were not public then interested people might not find us at all.
It wouldn't be all posts.

We had a post where we were asked to post pix of ourselves. I don't like to do that in a post that is accessible to search engines.

How about when we say we will be going on vacation, away from our homes. That doesn't need to be accessible to search engines. I think it should be mostly for off topic threads.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I agree about pictures and info regarding being away from our homes. We don't need everyone having that info.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Ummmmmmmmmmmm, Isn't is ultimately up to the user what they decide to share/not share?

If you don't want something shared: don't post it. Pretty simple.

If you have something to say, and are looking for a "specific crowd", that is what the PM's are for. . .if there is not a forum specific sub forum/usergroup that needs to be approved to join.

When you participate in a public forum, you have to remember, it's public. If there are paid sections/clubhouses/member only areas, that STILL doesn't ensure your online anonymity.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Well said Tatt