Members' only threads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might I suggest folks check the Community tab on the blue bar? Click social groups and create a dedicated group where you can post to your heart's content. Those are a bit more private.

Might I suggest folks check the Community tab on the blue bar? Click social groups and create a dedicated group where you can post to your heart's content. Those are a bit more private.
That's a good idea Alix, but it's not something that is easy to notice. I joined the green one and there is hardly any conversation there. Well, I assume so, I haven't looked in a while. I think I get email notifications of new posts there.

I was looking for that link...couldn't find it.
Then it dawned on me ...
I prefer the v1 format. The Community link isn't there. At least I can't find it.
I switched to v3 format and there it is!

Then it dawned on me ...
I prefer the v1 format. The Community link isn't there. At least I can't find it.

The older skins are not supported officially anymore and are not updated. New features with the forum may not make the cut.

Social groups can help but, again, if scummy people want it they will just create an account and get it.

Security through obscurity is no security at all.

One more caution is never, ever, expect anything on the Internet to be truly private. We here at DC do our best to maintain your privacy on site, but we can not control the packets in route. We can not control any software on your system, including anything that could monitor your doings and send them off elsewhere.

The best advice I can give anyone is something Kathleen's young cousin said once:

Never put anything in your diary you don't want to see in court.

If you don't want everyone on the Internet to see something don't put it anywhere on the Internet.

Then it dawned on me ...

There is no Community tab in v. 1.0 but the Social Groups menu item is under the Quick Links drop down menu.

We have an old adage or saying: Never put anything in writing that can be brought to court ... Same as F.Z. mentioned a few posts above.

Good advice and thanks for posting it.

Like Steve, I am a member of a Professional Interntl. Wine Forum via membership also ... There are subtle differences between professional forums and those with a good group of serious minded people with a specific interest and much lesser in numbers, than the thousands of browsers in same "space" ...

Have lovely August.

M.C.

Last edited:
I have formed a new social group, anyone who wants to join this non modded by invite only kink tank must bribe me.:)

just think we could be bitching about yooooooooooooouuuuuuu:yum:

I have formed a new social group, anyone who wants to join this non modded by invite only kink tank must bribe me.:)

just think we could be bitching about yooooooooooooouuuuuuu:yum:

At this point I should point out that there is no "non modded" area on Discuss Cooking. Our site rules apply to ALL areas of the site, public posts, social groups, link gallery, user albums and private messages.

Devils advocate warning!!
Don't shoot me.

And I suppose NO ONE EVERY goes to recipe/food/cooking sites to look for recipes or ideas? Sites need clicks/traffic. Maybe a PRIVATE forum for members only to chat is what you are looking for? Like a back room? This IS a food/cooking/recipe forum after all. I do understand the reason behind the request but I do go to cooking sites for inspiration and HATE being told I HAVE to register to look at recipes. I can't stand all the spam I get afterwards. BUT I don't think anyone should highjack/ plagiarize others work.

Last edited:
Don't shoot me.

And I suppose NO ONE EVERY goes to recipe/food/cooking sites to look for recipes or ideas? Sites need clicks/traffic. Maybe a PRIVATE forum for members only to chat is what you are looking for? Like a back room? This IS a food/cooking/recipe forum after all. I do understand the reason behind the request but I do go to cooking sites for inspiration and HATE being told I HAVE to register to look at recipes. I can't stand all the spam I get afterwards. BUT I don't think anyone should highjack/ plagiarize others work.
That is exactly what I want.

TATTRAT said:
Ummmmmmmmmmmm, Isn't is ultimately up to the user what they decide to share/not share?

If you don't want something shared: don't post it. Pretty simple.

If you have something to say, and are looking for a "specific crowd", that is what the PM's are for. . .if there is not a forum specific sub forum/usergroup that needs to be approved to join.

When you participate in a public forum, you have to remember, it's public. If there are paid sections/clubhouses/member only areas, that STILL doesn't ensure your online anonymity.

+1

msmofet said:
Don't shoot me.

+1

Since I started this thread, I will comment yet again. The point was that guests could see posts (such as recipes), but not page-jack them (although, I am somewhat clueless as to how threads were page-jacked).

I'm in favour of a forum which doesnt have so much open to the public. So I understand what CWS is getting at.

I have run a private forum for many years. I was a member of open forums and we had a few break off groups for those who wished to communicate but not in such an open manner. This isnt about bitching or gossiping but it was about making new friendships and being able to share things you couldnt share on an open site. Since then many of us have built very firm relationships, and have met in real life too now.

Ifn' they can see em they can copy them (and steal) them.

+1. That's just the nature of the beast on the internet. Stuff like that happens all the time. It doesn't change anything about DC, and the folks who stumble onto those other sites soon leave because of the lack of connection. People stay at DC, not for the recipes, but for the interaction with their friends.

There have been rumblings before about member's only area. I am passionately and adamantly opposed to that. We have a COMMUNITY here that behaves like a family and a "members only" area will diminish that. Ignore the occasional bit of stupidity, and let the Mods and the owner manage anything that needs to be managed.

If the PTB decide on a Member's Only area, I hope they charge for it. Could be a nice little extra money maker for Andy R. I, for one, will not be participating in that. I've stayed at DC for 10 years because of the friendships and the atmosphere, I don't want to see that ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom