"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Mobile Browsing and ads

I am curious. If I am browsing the forum with a mobile device and decide to let it download the app that is supposed to make viewing better with phones, tablets and the like... if I don't like it can I simply uninstall the app? Will the forum always try to run using that app if it was installed and bungy things up because I know longer want to use it?

And as an aside, has anyone noticed how the banner ads so closely follow our patterns? Almost in a Big Brother kind of way
A couple weeks ago I was browsing Amazon daily for pots, talking about pots, and every banner ad until today has been for one pot or another. Circulon mostly, which is what I ended up getting...
And now they are about Sous Vide cooking appliances I haven't even looked into those, only replying to the thread.

Do you still see those banner ads with mobile browsing if you install the app, or does it block them to neaten up the page?

Thanks for any help or insight.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23,516
I really like the DC app for iPad/iPhone. And yes, you can easily uninstall it, it's still available in the iTunes store. I would imagine it's similar with Android. You can choose to not use the app and still leave it on your devices. And if it's being quirky, it's easy to uninstall then reinstall it.

The app has no ads. It also lacks a few of the features of the regular site, but then I just bring up the regular site if I need to. I have not yet figured out how to do multi quotes on either

Banner ads actually DO monitor your browsing habits!

I say go for it, Pac, get the app!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I really like the DC app for iPad/iPhone. And yes, you can easily uninstall it, it's still available in the iTunes store. I would imagine it's similar with Android. You can choose to not use the app and still leave it on your devices. And if it's being quirky, it's easy to uninstall then reinstall it.

The app has no ads. It also lacks a few of the features of the regular site, but then I just bring up the regular site if I need to. I have not yet figured out how to do multi quotes on either

Banner ads actually DO monitor your browsing habits
So if I am using my iPad to browse the site and can't do something I would like to do... I can simply revert back to the actual webpage and leave the app installed? Is there a way to toggle between the two?
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

So if I am using my iPad to browse the sight and can't do something I would like to do... I can simply revert back to the actual webpage and leave the app installed? Is there a way to toggle between the two?
Sure. You bring the site up in your browser (Safari or whatever) and leave it there, or bring it up in your history. Also, the app will take you to the actual site when you click on, say, a link to a thread in someone's post. Not always, but often.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Thanks Dawg.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 18,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I am curious. If I am browsing the forum with a mobile device and decide to let it download the app that is supposed to make viewing better with phones, tablets and the like... if I don't like it can I simply uninstall the app? Will the forum always try to run using that app if it was installed and bungy things up because I know longer want to use it?

And as an aside, has anyone noticed how the banner ads so closely follow our patterns? Almost in a Big Brother kind of way
A couple weeks ago I was browsing Amazon daily for pots, talking about pots, and every banner ad until today has been for one pot or another. Circulon mostly, which is what I ended up getting...
And now they are about Sous Vide cooking appliances I haven't even looked into those, only replying to the thread.

Do you still see those banner ads with mobile browsing if you install the app, or does it block them to neaten up the page?

Thanks for any help or insight.
Banner ads also show up right here. As I was reading your post, there was a banner ad for Mobile apps and Circulon pans. And if I type in "Kellogs Cereal" there will be a banner ad for that when I hit "submit reply." Big Brother is watching us.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Time for the dark glasses, Addie
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 18,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Time for the dark glasses, Addie
Thank you for the laugh!

Do do do do, do do do do. Where is Rod Sterling?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 23,516
Here's a screen shot using the app, very neat and clean ( except for the fingerprints....)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2824582320.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	16748
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Pretty cool, Dawg. Thanks.
Maybe I'll give the mobile version a whirl as long as I now know I can go back if I don't like it.

Sometimes I'll be out shopping and hit an information website to double check something. I've always been afraid to answer Yes about using the mobile app in case I lost access to all their features... plus I'm simply more familiar with getting to where I need to get on the *real* website. As long as I can drop it if I don't like it I'm good
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.