Need Input on New Herb and Spice Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what about something about it`s History and origins as well as medical usage(s), most all herbs and spices have quite a rich history and medicinal properties.

KE, do we want to encourage double posting of recipes? The search function will find tarragon chicken regardless of where it's posted.

YT, That could be as easy as a link. Otherwise, someone eould have to write that history into a post.

OK guys! We agree there should be a forum devoted to Herbs and Spices, which is basically what it will be called. What do you want to see this forum cover? Give us your input on how you would like to see this forum divided out. Some basic thoughts are for sub forums:

Growing Herbs and Spices
Tips, questions, all discussion on growing herbs and spices

Uses for Herbs and Spices
Tips, questions, all discussions on uses for herbs and spices

How about:

Herbs, Spices & Seasonings

Herb Infusions
Oils, Vinegars, etc. Methods & Recipes

Going off the Herb topic for a moment... Could there be an additional Dessert sub topic lumped into the catagory? i.e.

Souffle/Mousse/Flan/Pudding/Custard

TIA

Frankly, I think Kitchenelf's original proposition ("Growing" & "Uses") was just fine as is. The rest just spoils the broth & makes it more confusing.

Geez - all of THREE people even thought an Herbs & Spices forum was worthwhile when it was first suggested; now everyone suddenly wants to chime in & make it more complicated.

I'd vote for keeping it simple like Kitchenelf first suggested, then down the road if it looks like it needs more subforums, they can be added at that time.

Last edited:
The first three to promote such a forum have as much input as every other member. Each member's input is valued. More complicated might make it better, not worse or confusing.

This thread is here to gather input from every interested person.

Of course everyone's input is valued, but when you first start a forum with a gazillion little subforums, it never seems to work out. You get a few posts - many repetitive - here & there, & then the entire forum is deemed worthless & gets canned.

I'm just saying that it's best to start small & see how it goes.

Perhaps a stickied thread with a basic spice bible? Something that just outlines the basic uses and flavor profiles?

I like this idea! It would be very handy to have a sticky that lists common (and not so common) mixtures and pairings of spices. A TNT bible of sorts that makes suggestions based on a starting ingredient. So, if you find yourself with some fresh sage and wonder what else you can throw in, the sticky would come to the rescue.

While it sounds great, it also sounds like a lot of work! ;)

I like the idea of the two sub-forums. I also like the idea of a sub-forum about spice blends, as I "dabble" in custom-formulated blends. However, I also agree that such a forum wouldn't see much traffic.

KE, do we want to encourage double posting of recipes? The search function will find tarragon chicken regardless of where it's posted.

YT, That could be as easy as a link. Otherwise, someone eould have to write that history into a post.

There wouldn't be a double post though - and it was purely a joke anyway. People aren't going to take the time to post in the proper forum and put a link ONLY in a post in the Herb and Spice Forum.

When searching it is VERY helpful to have the name of the recipe in the title - otherwise people are searching through posts with no mention of the recipe they are looking for in the title, or where they are in the thread. They just have to basically search through each post.

Recipes where the herb or spice is the predominant ingredient...? I'm thinking pesto, garam masala, etc....

I like the idea of a form on growing, drying and using herbs and spices. I think I am like everyone else and get into a rut using same spices all the time. I would think showing the use of common spices in unusual ways, or in different regional ways would be very helpful in helping us tweak our day to day menus.

Here's my two bits...
1. Forum on growing and preserving herbs
2. Forum listing herbs and typical uses...should be like a chart that we could use for reference. This could be a sub-forum under Forum #1.
3. Forum on using herbs, including recipes for which the herb is the main ingredient
4. Forum on using non-herb seasoning items, such as garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, assorted oils, etc.

Last edited:
sometimes I'm not sure the best way to cut my herbs when i want to use them..so maybe a section on harvesting? or maybe that would be under growing?

What about a help forum or something in case some-one's used a little too much of a certain spice/herb and wants to know how to tone it down so to speak with-out having to trash the whole dish and start over again. I didn't see anything on this particular area (or maybe I missed seeing it) and thought I'd mention this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom