Need Input on New Herb and Spice Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for bringing this back up FoodFiend, I'd sort of forgotten it.

Have we sort of decided on this?

Basically I see folks saying that two subs are sufficient with the possibility of a third. How about something like:

Growing Herbs and related Questions

Uses for Herbs and Spices - What spice in what dish, dishes that are predominantly herb or spice etc

Odds and Ends - Blends and general Help

Keep in mind thats a pretty rough draft. Do you think those three will cover most of the territory?

Alix- I think that the 3 sub sections touch on everything. An Herb and spice category is essential to this site.

So did my 3 topics seem to cover everything?

bknox, your question would fit nicely under the Growing subsection.

I think and herb and spice section is an excellent idea. With so many herbs and spices being more and more available it could really open up some eyes to some very unique flavors. Great idea! I ahve been handed some fairly creative ideas on organic pest control including cats that seem to enjoy tearing up my garden and will make sure to post what I have.

# subforums is more than enough. Here we have non and all of a sudden we will have 3. I am pretty positive people will post in wrong forums anyway. Happens all the time. That includes me of course. :rolleyes:

I would love to see a sub-form for exotic and hard-to-find/use herbs and spices. My specialty is middle eastern cooking and I know there are a lot of spices used that most cooks have never even heard of. On top of that my current boss is Indian, and he's been teaching me how to make a lot of indian dishes....using spice combinations i never would have come close to imagining. If someone is in a middle eastern/asain/indian grocery store, and they find something they are interested in using, it would be good to have a place where they can post questions and get recipes.

Alix - your three subsections are just PERFECT as is. I can't think of any possible question that wouldn't fit into one of those 3 sections.

I really like the idea of growing/uses/preserving. I'm a gardener, in the process of switching from the use of chemicals to all organic. I have begun to grow my own herbs, having both success and failure as I learn.

I'm thinking now of ginger for example - Zingiber officinale. Texas A&M says I can grow it, I've googled it. I've seen the plant and understand more than I did. Oh, how much I'd like to ask someone about their personal experience.

Alix - your three subsections are just PERFECT as is. I can't think of any possible question that wouldn't fit into one of those 3 sections.

Thanks! OK, I'll wait another day or so to see what other opinions pop up and then take this to the Admin team to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom