New ads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't get this all the time, but very recently I have been noticing certain pages here, on this forum, getting pushed over to one side of my screen and a video ad taking up room on the right side. This might be why sometimes pages load slower and they time out a lot, before they even load.
I didn't think registered members were subject to all these ads, or is one of my pop up blockers going kaput on me? This is on a few different PC, but I run the same adaware stuff and the like on all of them.

This is what it looks like. The vid had stopped playing, but there was still movement going on within the ad. It was kind of annoying trying to read the post with that going on :wacko: Any ideas? Anyone else getting this stuff? I want my full screen back :(

exactly what you describe is the reason i have been losing blogs left and right before i can get them finished. maybe it's my cue to rein in my ongoing rambling remarks. comforting to know i'm not alone in this. as to remedy, i don't know whether i have foxfire, or what it is even...

Am I still the only one using IE that is getting these ads?

Nope! I've got loads of ads on my screen too. All on the right and I'm using IE. I will have to switch to FF. I thought that they were supposed to be there!

I have this really annoying one about losing weight where a woman's belly swells and then receeds and swells and receeds... like the tide. Really distracting and a little frightening!! :LOL: That and the super-rubbish 'We buy any car . com' Urgh, most annoying advert, second only to Go Compare or confused .com!!

Hope FF helps :rolleyes:

With all the people using FF and saying that they don't see any ads, you almost have to wonder if the owner of this site receives some kind of kickback from them. I had never heard of an advertisement being browser dependant, especailly with the usual ad blockers in place.
No videos this mornnig though.

Fred, I was using FF with an older adblocker and still got the banner ad at the top of each page. When I upgraded to newer versions of both FF and Adblock plus, I get nothing.

I don't understand why the adblocker you're using can't be st to block everything out. Is it an up-to-date version?

With all the people using FF and saying that they don't see any ads, you almost have to wonder if the owner of this site receives some kind of kickback from them.
Actually it is quite the opposite. The owner of the site makes money (that he uses to keep this site running and free for the users) from the ads on the site. He would rather (I am assuming) people view the ads so that the site can make some money to defer the cost of running it. To his credit, he has never, not once, weighed in on this topic to try to tell people not to block ads or anything. I personally think he deserves a lot of respect for that.

Fred, I was using FF with an older adblocker and still got the banner ad at the top of each page. When I upgraded to newer versions of both FF and Adblock plus, I get nothing.

I don't understand why the adblocker you're using can't be st to block everything out. Is it an up-to-date version?

I don't understand either, Andy. I updated adaware when the videos (and audio) started. It's always been rated very high at stopping pop ups. And does on other sites, even USA Today, which is very ad heavy.

I certainly don't mind the banner ads, especially when they are related to cooking. And I have gotten used to only having half a screen with the right side being plastered with ads, but the videos are quite annoying.

Anyway, not that it's any colsolation, but at least it's not just me getting these things.

Adaware has never worked like that for me. I found its pop up blocker marginally effective. AdBlock is amazingly effective both on here and on FB. DC's ads have never annoyed me to the extent FB's did. I will admit though, I enjoy both sites more without the ads!

I just looked Andy. No such option in the free version.

I'll Google adblock later, Alix. Maybe it will work more effectively, but the videos don't happen all the time. Maybe the ads cycle or something.

lol, I've heard that before, Alix. Add-on for FF. Oh well.

I'm on my work computer now, one that has never had an ad start playing, let alone with volume that could not be turned off, and the ad was for Lysol. No way to turn it off, it just kept going... so I hit the back arrow and I heard the "click", but I was stuck on that page (Snip's favourite pasta topping thread after I had quick posted). I kept clicking back and nothing was happening and then another ad started playing, so I left DC and just came back.
Right now I am hearing all kinds of clicking like stuff is loading, but I seem OK...

And FWIW, DC would not load about ten minutes ago. The site was down or something. Prior to going down I did not see any video ads playing.

If that narrows things down.

pacanis - forums / websites typically sign up with a "service" - the web page itself has "code" which allows for "replaceable" ads which are supplied by the "service" - they can be site specific, geographically specific, specific based on any tracking info the "service" can glean the cookies on your computer.

the forum admin itself is not sitting around deciding on which ad to run....

now and then these ad services get sloppy, or get 'fooled', or (whatever) you want to call it and those really really obnoxious ads appear. some put themselves on screen and you _can't_ get rid of it, move it, close it, nothing.... I've seen those sort of ads where the click-on site is actually malware - really nasty goings on.

about a year back I read where some ad service claimed it had been "hacked" and all kinds of malware "inserted" into the ad stream. frankly I think it was a lame excuse - my bet is since there was a check attached, they ran the ads without even thinking about it.

I didn't think the admin was running the ads, dc :LOL:

I'm trying to see if there is a different way I can navigate the site. Like right now, no ads. Not even on the side. After opening the index page I clicked quick links/today's posts. But one minute before I started typing this I clicked on New Posts and was bombarded with ads and the sounds of stuff loading or trying to load. I quickly left.
It's probably not as simple as that, but it's a start.

the answer is ad blocking software.

the multitude of really good plug-ins and add-ons for FireFox is why so many people use it. don't overlook, FireFox is open source code - people who want to write stuff for FireFox can get the actual source code and see _exactly_ how to interface with it. they're not guessing / stabbing in the dark at "undocumented" function calls as is so often the case with MicroSoft.

MS Internet Explorer is not so ad blocking friendly, nor does MicroSoft support/cooperate with third party efforts hence Internet Explorer is much more prone to goofy stuff. from what I've read, IE8 is even less good than earlier versions regards ad blocking.

The only time I ever ran into the ads on the side of the page was when I was on the site but not logged in. As soon as I logged in, it stopped.

Interesting dc, thanks for the info.

You're a lucky man, Andy. It's like trying to watch CNN or ESPN where they've got so much stuff going on, the actual program is like 40% of the screen, lol.
And you are right. I think I might have even said something at the beginning of this thread. I thought all these ads were for unregistered surfers. I think I'll log out and see if I get even more ads than I currently am, but again, no vids have popped up since using quick links rather than New Posts.
Time to flip my steak so it thaws...

"The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read."

Oh ya gotta love a forum that remembers your cookie even though you have logged out :LOL:

So not really more ads, but definitely more ad links. The only difference that I noticed was that Google has a bunch of ad links that are actually within a person's post. I've seen these links separating the continuity of a thread, inbetween posts, but never within an actual post, like a sig line. The ads are still on the side squeezing the DC screen over and the banners on top, where they always were.
Really, for being logged out, there wasn't a whole lot of difference. :huh:

I think I'll consult with my IT guy, too. See if he needs to run FF to evade ads and pop ups. I know he's a surfin' fool :cool:

I can see clearly now, the adds are gone. I can see all obstacles in my way..........

I switched to FF. What a difference, so far. We'll see!

how is it that no one besides me is having a problem with an ff download? yes, i'm stupid but still...last year this time i'd never even seen a computer in person, and in some ways life was much simpler that way...last night i spent nearly a solid two hours attempting to download ff - at least six separate tries. my chrome browser won't "acknowledge" this site, and without an icon i didn't know how to access ff once the download was complete. then i tried using my ie to download ff again, but eventually learned that ie blocked my attempt for "security reasons". so now it seems i have the ff icons only i still am unable to access the site. i also tried several default browser changes, back and forth, (between google chrome and ie) also with no success. at this point i am just venting or ranting - i don't expect any help from any of you for this ff debacle of mine. i'm not understanding 96% of the technical language and references contained in this thread anyhow. for all i care, ie, chrome and ff can all go***themselves....

Back
Top Bottom