"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Senior Cook

New Feature?

I see cooks that swear by this product or that product - and it is always from someone out of my area. It would be nice if we had regional site where we could check if XYZ product is available.

Availability is a real challenge in rural America.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
Master Chef

Have you tried looking to see if you could buy it on-line? You could probably google the item's name; use a "shopping" option in google or yahoo search.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Have you tried looking to see if you could buy it on-line? You could probably google the item's name; use a "shopping" option in google or yahoo search.
The purpose is to avoid spending too much time on Googld. There is a lot of city chefs who do not understand the cook in rural America does not have access to the same foods or products. For instance, if I can find Scallion the cost is six dollars each. If I want a chef's tool. I drive 100 miles for it.

Buying online implies a credit card. Not everyone has one.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The purpose is to avoid spending too much time on Googld. There is a lot of city chefs who do not understand the cook in rural America does not have access to the same foods or products. For instance, if I can find Scallion the cost is six dollars each. If I want a chef's tool. I drive 100 miles for it.

Buying online implies a credit card. Not everyone has one.
Seems to me it would be in your best economic interest to have at least a debit card. Driving 100 miles for kitchen tools and supplies is neither a good use of your time nor your money. Ordering on-line and having the items delivered is much more expedient.

Just a thought.....
Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Sous Chef

No matter where you live there will always be something you cannot buy or get easily.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Seems to me it would be in your best economic interest to have at least a debit card. Driving 100 miles for kitchen tools and supplies is neither a good use of your time nor your money. Ordering on-line and having the items delivered is much more expedient.

Just a thought.....
It is good advise, and appreicated, but it does not particularly apply in my situation. I do not drive 100 miles for one item or one store, for that is a waste of time and money. On the occassona I do go, I also buy wholesale bulk across the city. I do not return for another 6-9 months - depending upon my immediate needs.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Sounds like you just need to move closer to the stores. ;) jk
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I wish ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
Sounds like you just need to move closer to the stores. ;) jk
It is not that easy ... too many complications.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Executive Chef

linicx, even to those near enough to big urban centers, there is always something not available. As I travel across country (different areas during the summer) I often try regional products. I always keep the store reciepts so I can look them up again if I liked the items. I buy certain corn meal from South Carolina and certain whole grain flour mixtures from Kansas...neither available where I live in PA. SOmetimes I find a web site for the company, sometimes just a phone number. (one small company didn't take credit cards..."just put a check in the mail to us and we'll send you your order by return.")

Sometimes the hunt is part of the excitement. SOmetimes I drive somewhere going a certain way so I can stop at that store again and get more of that "whatever". Often a TV show has a list of ingeadients and suppliers, so if you are watching FoodNetwork check out their website for where to get it. And also check for possible substitutions.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
No matter where you live there will always be something you cannot buy or get easily.
If lived in Chicago or NYC or LA, I would not encounter the problems. However, If I would be trading simple rural life for one I could not afford.

If I owned a restaurant and if I offered fine dining. I would be where I had easy access to the products I needed.

Those dreams passed by long ago.