"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #21
Master Chef

Now, I never said it was MY Nanny's recipe, did I? That was a "just for example" example based on something I saw in a bakery in Denver!

My Nanny was a good Scotswoman - she would never do anything that perverse!

Old 07-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Not if you are calling them scones - now if you want to call them chocolate biscuits..... I'm quite happy with that! (The American type of biscuit, not the British type which are really cookies!)
Is it an authenticity thing? I can also be an authenticity-snob at times... lol! Whenever someone refers to an egg omelet with green peppers, salsa, etc... as a Spanish Omelet, I just tell them, "No, that's Mexican, a Spanish Omelet would have potatoes, onions, and garlic..."

Just like Lasagna, even! Did you know that if you put meat in lasagna, it really isn't a real lasagna anymore? And real Tiramisu doesn't have uncooked eggs in it... Don't get me wrong, I love experimenting with recipes, etc... in fact, I love meat "lasagna", but just think the history/origin of food is cool, too.

-Tim

Old 07-02-2006, 05:26 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Michael - you obviously learned the lesson - never argue with a Scottish granny!

SNPiccolo -yes it's an authenticity thing... I have no objection with them being called chocolate buns.. In fact, the thing we call scones in Scotland are called Devon splits in Devon - and the people in Devon say THEY invented the cream tea - a devon split with butter and strawberry jam and cream - whilst the Cornish say it's 'theirs'..
Old 07-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Scones sometimes have raisins, currants or cheese in them. Wouldn't they still be scones if you used chocolate chips instead of one of the aforementioned items? The recipe would be the same. They could still be served with cream, butter or jam.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #25
Executive Chef

They just wouldn't be traditional Scottish scones, Licia.... We have ordinary scones, bran scones, tattie (potato) scones, treacle scones and scones with sultanas... chocolate chips is a step tooooooooo far, IMHO
Old 07-03-2006, 02:25 AM   #26
Head Chef

So how do you feel about our Australian Pumpkin scones Ishbel?? I think they are probably a nasty colonial deviation!!!!
This reminds me of a TV add we had here for microwave porridge where a little scottish boy with a thick accent kept saying" That's noo how you make porridge".
Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Yep - an aberration! (Did I say I don't like pumpkin in any shape or form?! Or that if I was faced with one more pumpkin soup variation in restaurants in NSW I'd scream?!!!!)

Microwave porridge - goodness........ I'm feeling faint at the heresy here!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #28
Executive Chef

I suppose some felt that way when our biscuits were being changed but we've had all sorts of wonderful progress and the cheddar cheese and garlic biscuits are so good I could eat a batch of them myself (but won't).
Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #29
Executive Chef

We do have cheese scones - usually made with sharp Scottish matured cheddar - but I've also used Dunlop cheese, too.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Very much agreed.