New section for Chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now, I never said it was MY Nanny's recipe, did I? That was a "just for example" example based on something I saw in a bakery in Denver! :LOL:

My Nanny was a good Scotswoman - she would never do anything that perverse!

Ishbel said:
Not if you are calling them scones - now if you want to call them chocolate biscuits..... I'm quite happy with that! (The American type of biscuit, not the British type which are really cookies!):cool:

Is it an authenticity thing? I can also be an authenticity-snob at times... lol! Whenever someone refers to an egg omelet with green peppers, salsa, etc... as a Spanish Omelet, I just tell them, "No, that's Mexican, a Spanish Omelet would have potatoes, onions, and garlic..."

Just like Lasagna, even! Did you know that if you put meat in lasagna, it really isn't a real lasagna anymore? And real Tiramisu doesn't have uncooked eggs in it... Don't get me wrong, I love experimenting with recipes, etc... in fact, I love meat "lasagna", but just think the history/origin of food is cool, too.

-Tim

Michael - you obviously learned the lesson - never argue with a Scottish granny!

SNPiccolo -yes it's an authenticity thing... I have no objection with them being called chocolate buns.. In fact, the thing we call scones in Scotland are called Devon splits in Devon - and the people in Devon say THEY invented the cream tea - a devon split with butter and strawberry jam and cream - whilst the Cornish say it's 'theirs'..

Scones sometimes have raisins, currants or cheese in them. Wouldn't they still be scones if you used chocolate chips instead of one of the aforementioned items? The recipe would be the same. They could still be served with cream, butter or jam.

They just wouldn't be traditional Scottish scones, Licia.... We have ordinary scones, bran scones, tattie (potato) scones, treacle scones and scones with sultanas... chocolate chips is a step tooooooooo far, IMHO :cool:

So how do you feel about our Australian Pumpkin scones Ishbel?? I think they are probably a nasty colonial deviation!!!!:)
This reminds me of a TV add we had here for microwave porridge where a little scottish boy with a thick accent kept saying" That's noo how you make porridge".

Yep - an aberration! (Did I say I don't like pumpkin in any shape or form?! Or that if I was faced with one more pumpkin soup variation in restaurants in NSW I'd scream?!!!!)

Microwave porridge - goodness........ I'm feeling faint at the heresy here!:cool:

I suppose some felt that way when our biscuits were being changed but we've had all sorts of wonderful progress and the cheddar cheese and garlic biscuits are so good I could eat a batch of them myself (but won't).

We do have cheese scones - usually made with sharp Scottish matured cheddar - but I've also used Dunlop cheese, too.

Re scones, as a girl from the south west of England I have always been told that cornwal and west devon scones are served cream then jam, east devon, somerset and west dorest scones are served butter, then jam then cream on top! We do get a bit protective over these sort of things, lol.

Re chocolate section I would tentatively say that I find this wonderful site already slightly complicated to navigate for the technically "challenged" like my self on dial up connection, and more sections and subsections only make it harder.....I wish the forums were more general and had longer pages! I guess its all eaach to his own preference though!

lulu said:
...I wish the forums were more general and had longer pages! I guess its all eaach to his own preference though!

lulu:

You can set your options for longer pages.

Go to User CP on the menu bar near the top of a page.

Select Edit Options (left side of the new page)

Scroll down to thread display options

Change the Number of Posts to Show per Page

Go to the bottom of the page and click on Save Changes

Thank you Andy M.!

That makes it a lot better......

Now, if only we could lump some of the subsections together I'd me very happy, LOL LOL LOL

Seriously, this is much easier, thank you

lulu:

I don't often go to the individual forums. Try the "Today's Posts" function to keep up with the new activity.

Today's Posts brings up all new posts from the last 24 hours arranged in chronological order with no sorting by category. It's about the fastest way to go through the new posts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom