"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Everymom

Not really. Its mostly just another way to give a "pat on the back". Its a bit more private, so you can say something you wouldn't post on the open boards.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
For me, it's a little like a nice, comforting "blankie." When I'm having a bad or difficult day, it's nice to click on my karma and feel a warm fuzzy.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I still don't understand the "Karma" thing. Yes, I've gotten a lot of "karma" posts thanking me for recipes or comments, & I appreciate that. But when I like a recipe or a comment, I post on the thread & thank the poster publically. And if I have something to say that I only want them to read, I send them a private message.

What, exactly, is the point of "Karma"? Or is there a point?
A PM is more involved. It can often times turn into a conversation (nothing wrong with that of course). But if you just want to pass a quick note along to someone without making them feel like they need to respond then karma is a great way to do it.

Karma is generally a very short note. A few words or maybe a sentence. Rarely is karma longer than that. A PM is usually longer than just a few words or a sentence.

Variety is the spice of life. PM and karma can be different ways of doing the same thing. Nothing wrong with using either.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I still don't understand the "Karma" thing. Yes, I've gotten a lot of "karma" posts thanking me for recipes or comments, & I appreciate that. But when I like a recipe or a comment, I post on the thread & thank the poster publically. And if I have something to say that I only want them to read, I send them a private message.

What, exactly, is the point of "Karma"? Or is there a point?
I don't think there is really a point to karma except to give the recipient a warm, fuzzy feeling. It's a great way to thank someone for help as an alternative to posting it. Often times, when I post asking for help with something, lots of people jump in to help. That's one of the best things about DC. But it would make threads really long if I posted a thank you on the board to each person who replied. There's nothing at all wrong with doing that - karma is just another way to do it. A PM is another way, too. One thing I like about karma is that the recipient doesn't know they have gotten it unless and until they check. So it's kind of a little surprise that I hope will give them a smile or a little boost when they do see it. I don't completely understand the points but they don't really matter (except to BuckyTom). No one knows how many points you or I have except us. But because you have been the recipient of karma from many people, it should tell you that you are highly valued here!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
no, middie - I meant you could see how many points YOU have, not anyone else's. That's probably a good thing.
Nope mudbug... I don't even see mine.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
that's a cool new feature. Or was I just overlooking it before?
Click on User CP, then look at Latest Reputation Received - click on the arrow to view.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Click on User CP, then look at Latest Reputation Received - click on the arrow to view.
Thanks Amy, for bringing us back on topic.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OK guys - I think it's time to get back to this being a thread about karma - do you want me to take all these "other" posts and place them in their own thread in the Off Topic and Joke Forum?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

can we call the new thread "gw has karma envy" {{{running awayyyy>>>>>
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
can we call the new thread "gw has karma envy" {{{running awayyyy>>>>>
I gots me a brand new potato gun, homemade of course, capable of lauching a spud (or gell filled balloon (gell made from some very old fish stock)) about 2000 miles or so. It's got GPS guidance tuned in to the particular electrical area of one BuckyTom's house. I don't have to worry about it homing in on the wrong target as it knows that Joisey aroma and has picture recognition techology that is tuned to that Charlie Brown shaped head (We know that BT only wishes he had the panache of Homer Simpson. He does have the IQ of Jessica Simpson though).

I tried to bury the hatchet (and not into BT) and offered to meet at MudBug's hot tub with some good steaks and a little freindly competition. I tried to take the high road. But those East-Coast boys, well they just have a history of mixin' it up. I mean, they've been famous thoughout U.S. history, aka the Bowrey Boys, West-Side Story with the Jets, Marlon Brando in "On the Waterfront", just to name a few. And we know that New Jersey is the twin of New York, but without the fame and fortune, which leaves them 2nd best in that genre.

So let's all send poor BT some karma points to help mollify his perpetually deflated ego. Oh wait, I used an uncommon word, mollify. I wonder if I've lost poor BT.

Seeeeeeya buddy; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote