Odd link appearing in posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delete or quarantine. Whatever your option is.
But that did not fix it on my end. I needed Hoot's link. Although it's always a good idea to run adaware and malware bytes now and then. What one doesn't find the other usually does.

I too recommend Ad-Aware...

I've been running Firefox since it started as Mosaic, then Mozilla ... And eventually became FF. that's about 18 years...

I remember I had to compile Mosaic on my Sun workstation. That was 1995.

Delete or quarantine. Whatever your option is.
But that did not fix it on my end. I needed Hoot's link. Although it's always a good idea to run adaware and malware bytes now and then. What one doesn't find the other usually does.

It didn't fix it here either, so I too will have to use Hoot's link. I really don't understand it all, but if I follow along step by step I should be OK. I am also getting a warning from Cisco, my WIFI network every time I click into a post on the forum and also on another forum I belong to. I just click out of it and continue, but eventually I have to address that. I had that once before but I can't remember how I got rid of it.

Computers are such fun.

It didn't fix it here either, so I too will have to use Hoot's link. I really don't understand it all, but if I follow along step by step I should be OK. I am also getting a warning from Cisco, my WIFI network every time I click into a post on the forum and also on another forum I belong to. I just click out of it and continue, but eventually I have to address that. I had that once before but I can't remember how I got rid of it.

Computers are such fun.

What warning is that?

Here is the warning I get. I just got it when I clicked on "quote" to reply to a post. It's not just here that I get it, but also on most other sites. I think it has something to do with the issue we are discussing in this thread. Notice that it also has the items in red underlined, the same as the ones I am getting in the posts here. It comes up with the Cisco logo which is my router. I had this warning before but I can't remember how I got rid of it. I am waiting to see if Hoot's link was any help to Pacanis, and also the time to go through the steps.

Possible web threat

[content redacted by DC moderator - malicious links.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a similar warning on another site. The warning window gave me a link to a Google site that tests websites for containing viruses, malware, etc and that site gave them a clean bill. I still got the warning. I notified their tech support and it has subsequently been cleared up.

Hallelujah! I saw this fix online. I went into the program for my Cisco router and disabled "safe web surfing." I have tried and tried, and I am no longer getting the warning of Possible Web Threat. I restarted my PC and now I am no longer getting the words in red in the posts with the pop-up ads attached. Since a few people were posting online that they were having this problem with their Cisco router I believe that it might be a glitch in the router. For months we didn't have the router connected because my lap top was crashed. After we got the lap top fixed, we re-connected the router, a month or so ago. So I think with Ad-Aware installed and running I should be OK from now on. I don't think I need Hoot's link, but I saved it for future reference.

Holy crapiola batman :ohmy:

I read through a few threads, clicked on this one and saw this! :shock:
dc screenshot.jpg

Then after I had saved it and went to post about it I got it again when the computer opened the advanced reply window.

What the heck is going on here lately?
Hoot, are you on this? Nobody else appears to be. Along with the numerous times (sometimes) that it takes to upload a picture here :(

I wonder if it has something to do with me only seeing a black X on Carol's last post where a picture should be? I can't move around in this thread at all without getting that password window.

What image? The one in Carol's post that I can't see?
I don't know my router's # offhand.
On the positive side, I'm in this thread and it did not appear this time.

Here is the warning I get. I just got it when I clicked on "quote" to reply to a post. It's not just here that I get it, but also on most other sites. I think it has something to do with the issue we are discussing in this thread. Notice that it also has the items in red underlined, the same as the ones I am getting in the posts here. It comes up with the Cisco logo which is my router. I had this warning before but I can't remember how I got rid of it. I am waiting to see if Hoot's link was any help to Pacanis, and also the time to go through the steps.

Possible web threat

[content redacted by DC moderator - malicious links.]

Carol I removed the text you had pasted into this post. It had multiple links to sites that download crap to your computer.

Holy crapiola batman :ohmy:

I read through a few threads, clicked on this one and saw this! :shock:

Then after I had saved it and went to post about it I got it again when the computer opened the advanced reply window.

What the heck is going on here lately?
Hoot, are you on this? Nobody else appears to be. Along with the numerous times (sometimes) that it takes to upload a picture here :(

That popup did not come from DC - my guess is that you clicked on a link to someones internet providers, security portal or similar or possibly one of the links we've just removed.

I wonder if it has something to do with me only seeing a black X on Carol's last post where a picture should be? I can't move around in this thread at all without getting that password window.

The little black x's are just images that are slow to load. Our server loads the text to posts first and then then images last. Sometimes the images can be slow - especially if your connection is bogged down. Often refreshing the page solves this issue. They aren't harmful.

Folks, after carefully reading this thread I think the issue is malware or tracking cookies on personal computers - plain and simple. Please be careful about where you surf and what you click on. Make sure your are running good, undated antivirus protection and have a secure firewall. Be careful!

...Folks, after carefully reading this thread I think the issue is malware or tracking cookies on personal computers - plain and simple. Please be careful about where you surf and what you click on. Make sure your are running good, undated antivirus protection and have a secure firewall. Be careful!

And it's not necessarily clicking that will do it. A long time back I was skimming through threads and saw what looked like an interesting site link as a new member's signature. Rather than click on it, I did the "open a new frame/type in the address/click" and saw a nice cooking site, peeked around, then closed the frame. No problem, right? Um, no. Turns out the site was evil, gummed up the computer like crazy, and took Himself (my in-house tech support with a bazillion years of computer expertise) quite a while to hunt down and kill off any demons. I now do not go to any suggested websites from new users unless I actually recognize the site's name.

Sometimes it's like catching chicken pox - you don't know you've been exposed because the person (computer) with the virus doesn't look sick until after you've picked up the bug. :(

Thank you Janet, for removing the problem in my post. I did not realize that it would cause a problem. For what it's worth, I am no longer having any of the problems I was having before and I hope they don't come back. If I caused a problem for anyone else, I am really sorry.

After I got my computer back to normal I have been checking regularly to be sure there have not been any malware or other site on my computer. This morning there were about 10 of them that were put on yesterday, 10/3. I cleared them off and all is well, but can anyone tell me why I am getting these all of a sudden and what I can do to stop them?

I have Ad-Aware and also Microsoft Security Essentials. I get messages from both of them that they are catching things, but when I look in uninstall programs I see these things listed and I can tell by the date it says they were installed that they are not something I installed. I guess I will have to keep installing Antivirus programs until I find one that will work for me.

Back
Top Bottom