One-hit-wonder members...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen this on every forum I have been a part of. A new member will post a question, and then vanish, never to be seen again. They don't even reply to answers to their own questions. Poof... gone!

Of course, this has me wondering, "why?" Is there a nefarious reason?

Has anyone else noticed this?

CD

Eh...I've learned not to put too much emotional equity into my reply posts to them, expecting something back.

Last edited:
Back on topic, the thing that I've heard far too often on forums is "Google is your friend."

Besides the wisdom and sage advice of experienced folks, the raison d'etre for a forum is the human interaction.

I hate the phrase, too. Heck, Google brought me here in the first place. That's how many new members find us. So yes, Google is their friend and their friend said to try DC there's people there that know stuff.

...Back on topic, the thing that I've heard far too often on forums is "Google is your friend."...

I hate the phrase, too. Heck, Google brought me here in the first place. That's how many new members find us. So yes, Google is their friend and their friend said to try DC there's people there that know stuff.

Yes and no.

It is kinda rude to give that as an answer when someone is looking for help. On the other hand, you'd like to think that the person asking made a minimal effort to find the answer to a very basic question for themselves before seeking outside help.

Yes and no.

It is kinda rude to give that as an answer when someone is looking for help. On the other hand, you'd like to think that the person asking made a minimal effort to find the answer to a very basic question for themselves before seeking outside help.

Exactly. Many times that's been the case. It always reminds me of what my mother would tell me, and what I told my daughter when asking how to spell a word, look it up in the dictionary, or use the encyclopedia if the question was about info. What's that old saying about give a man a fish and he eats today. Teach a man to fish and he eats the rest of his days or something similar.

I have seen this on every forum I have been a part of. A new member will post a question, and then vanish, never to be seen again. They don't even reply to answers to their own questions. Poof... gone!

Of course, this has me wondering, "why?" Is there a nefarious reason?

Has anyone else noticed this?

CD
They perhaps have their answer but not their good manners.

Most the times when I post a question, I have already made somewhat of an effort to find the answer, or just seeking advice from people whose opinion I trust and value rather than getting random info that Ill have to sort out myself. Or sometimes just using both info as a comparison so I could ultimately make up my mind. As we know sometimes cooking advice needs to be very specific ( as far as measurements) and other times its matter of opinion , trial and error, experience ... But if i relied on google or the internet, I'd never have joined any forums, nor would I have met any of you wonderful folks here :)

I've been guilty of not doing any basic research and just coming here to ask a question. That's a little due to my selective participation in life (aka laziness), but also because asking questions of people is simply more enjoyable than asking them of a search engine.

It never occurred to me to look at who is on line or lurking. I would feel like I was spying or intruding on their privacy.

I also don't consider anyone here my "really close friend". But I know who I would go to if I had a cake question, or a BBQ question, etc. Some folks here are more experienced than I am in certain areas. So I would go to them. Some members are absolutely delightful with their posts. I make it a point to read what they have to say first. CWS is a perfect example with her chicken chronicles. I was sorry to see her stop posting on it. Having lived on a farm as a kid and feeding the chickens, I could very well relate to her trials and tribulations.

I really enjoy when someone comes along who has a great sense of humor. It often makes my day. Specially if my day is not going the way I want it to. Today's Funny is my life line some days when I need a really good laugh.

I figure I have enough to read here, without having to spy on who is lurking or on line.

Addie I think you are misunderstanding the term "lurking". Nobody is 'spying' on anybody. Neither the lurkers nor the posters, nor the people who are looking at who is on line. It is pure curiosity to see who is on line. If you see someone whose posts you admire or like you can see where they are and join them.

The 'lurkers' are people who have joined but never posted. They just go around and read the various posts but never put in a comment. And that is fine - I read many posts but don't stick in a comment, usually because I would just be repeating what has already been said. I feel those types of comments just clog up the thread. Sometimes I do of course, especially if I feel strongly about it.

+1, dragn, and well said. I don't consider it "spying" at all.

Addie, this is a public forum and it's a given that whatever someone posts, or is reading about, is out there for public viewing and often very helpful.

I check out 'who's online' pretty often. Just today I scrolled down and saw a guest reading something of particular interest to me today - a cole slaw thread. I have half a green cabbage and half a purple cabbage to use up and was going to do a search here for different cole slaw ideas, and there it was. Click, and done. :)

Last edited:
I just responded to a new member with an odd screen name and unusual question. It will be interesting to see if he/she is another one-hit wonder. Hmmmm.

CD

Three pages of replies from DC members, no follow-up from poster. The question just looks "made up" to me. Ad that to the poster's screen name, and I can't help but suspect we are being played with.

CD

+1, dragn, and well said. I don't consider it "spying" at all.

Addie, this is a public forum and it's a given that whatever someone posts, or is reading about, is out there for public viewing and often very helpful.

I check out 'who's online' pretty often. Just today I scrolled down and saw a guest reading something of particular interest to me today - a cole slaw thread. I have half a green cabbage and half a purple cabbage to use up and was going to do a search here for different cole slaw ideas, and there it was. Click, and done. :)

I have always been a very private person. And I have always thought that others are also. Even my kids know very little about my childhood. I am very reluctant to answer their questions. One day my oldest daughter asked me about the scar on my knee. I turned around and slapped her as hard as I could. "None of your business" is what I screamed at her. It was from when one of the pigs turned on me and bit me. It left me with more internal scars than anyone would ever see. I later apologized to her and told her I was bit by a pig and didn't want to talk about it. She had the good sense to not ask any more questions. Maybe some day I will tell her the story. The only real happiness I had as a child was always at my mother's side helping her. I loved living on that farm and when they sold it I was heartbroken. To this day when I am in a car and out in the countryside, I get that strange yearning again and again of wanting to go back.

I think everyone tells of what they would do if they won the Lottery. Well, for me it would be to go back to a life on a farm. A silly wish, since I know it wouldn't be like my childhood with my mother. But I could take a vacation on a working farm that have guests. I would just stay away from the pigs.

I am not curious to know what other folks are doing. Other than what I read on the posts here. There are certain post I go to first. I get all my DC posts first in my emails. So I click on the ones that have always held my interest. Living here in this building where everyone wants to know your business, drives me crazy. I go out the back door if I am not taking my scooter with me. Just to avoid meeting up with the gossip patrol. When I first moved in here, one of the residents knew my kids when he was a cafeteria worker in the schools. She recognized them when they came to visit me. She had the gall to go to the office and ask what my name was and what apartment I was moving in. Fortunately the manager told her that information was private. Try as she might, over these ten years I have lived here, she still can't find out anything about me except I have two boys who visit me every day.

I value my privacy. And I try to do the same for everyone else. Some days it is harder than others.

Last edited:
I often hesitate to welcome folks that introduce themselves because I get a feeling they are " one hit wonders". Then there are those I get a bad feeling about. The ones with an agenda. They usually start with " Hi, I'm doing research" or their handle suggests they are trying to market something.

I often hesitate to welcome folks that introduce themselves because I get a feeling they are " one hit wonders". Then there are those I get a bad feeling about. The ones with an agenda. They usually start with " Hi, I'm doing research" or their handle suggests they are trying to market something.

The ones selling something don't last 24 hrs. The Mods stop them right in their tracks.

I don't want to be part of any ones research.

Back
Top Bottom