"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry, nevermind, I read that bass ackwards.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:15 AM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I have seen this on every forum I have been a part of. A new member will post a question, and then vanish, never to be seen again. They don't even reply to answers to their own questions. Poof... gone!

Of course, this has me wondering, "why?" Is there a nefarious reason?

Has anyone else noticed this?

CD
Eh...I've learned not to put too much emotional equity into my reply posts to them, expecting something back.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Back on topic, the thing that I've heard far too often on forums is "Google is your friend."

Besides the wisdom and sage advice of experienced folks, the raison d'etre for a forum is the human interaction.
I hate the phrase, too. Heck, Google brought me here in the first place. That's how many new members find us. So yes, Google is their friend and their friend said to try DC there's people there that know stuff.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...Back on topic, the thing that I've heard far too often on forums is "Google is your friend."...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I hate the phrase, too. Heck, Google brought me here in the first place. That's how many new members find us. So yes, Google is their friend and their friend said to try DC there's people there that know stuff.
Yes and no.

It is kinda rude to give that as an answer when someone is looking for help. On the other hand, you'd like to think that the person asking made a minimal effort to find the answer to a very basic question for themselves before seeking outside help.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes and no.

It is kinda rude to give that as an answer when someone is looking for help. On the other hand, you'd like to think that the person asking made a minimal effort to find the answer to a very basic question for themselves before seeking outside help.
Exactly. Many times that's been the case. It always reminds me of what my mother would tell me, and what I told my daughter when asking how to spell a word, look it up in the dictionary, or use the encyclopedia if the question was about info. What's that old saying about give a man a fish and he eats today. Teach a man to fish and he eats the rest of his days or something similar.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I have seen this on every forum I have been a part of. A new member will post a question, and then vanish, never to be seen again. They don't even reply to answers to their own questions. Poof... gone!

Of course, this has me wondering, "why?" Is there a nefarious reason?

Has anyone else noticed this?

CD
They perhaps have their answer but not their good manners.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #47
Head Chef

Most the times when I post a question, I have already made somewhat of an effort to find the answer, or just seeking advice from people whose opinion I trust and value rather than getting random info that Ill have to sort out myself. Or sometimes just using both info as a comparison so I could ultimately make up my mind. As we know sometimes cooking advice needs to be very specific ( as far as measurements) and other times its matter of opinion , trial and error, experience ... But if i relied on google or the internet, I'd never have joined any forums, nor would I have met any of you wonderful folks here
Old 09-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been guilty of not doing any basic research and just coming here to ask a question. That's a little due to my selective participation in life (aka laziness), but also because asking questions of people is simply more enjoyable than asking them of a search engine.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

It never occurred to me to look at who is on line or lurking. I would feel like I was spying or intruding on their privacy.

I also don't consider anyone here my "really close friend". But I know who I would go to if I had a cake question, or a BBQ question, etc. Some folks here are more experienced than I am in certain areas. So I would go to them. Some members are absolutely delightful with their posts. I make it a point to read what they have to say first. CWS is a perfect example with her chicken chronicles. I was sorry to see her stop posting on it. Having lived on a farm as a kid and feeding the chickens, I could very well relate to her trials and tribulations.

I really enjoy when someone comes along who has a great sense of humor. It often makes my day. Specially if my day is not going the way I want it to. Today's Funny is my life line some days when I need a really good laugh.

I figure I have enough to read here, without having to spy on who is lurking or on line.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #50
Head Chef

Addie I think you are misunderstanding the term "lurking". Nobody is 'spying' on anybody. Neither the lurkers nor the posters, nor the people who are looking at who is on line. It is pure curiosity to see who is on line. If you see someone whose posts you admire or like you can see where they are and join them.

The 'lurkers' are people who have joined but never posted. They just go around and read the various posts but never put in a comment. And that is fine - I read many posts but don't stick in a comment, usually because I would just be repeating what has already been said. I feel those types of comments just clog up the thread. Sometimes I do of course, especially if I feel strongly about it.