"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #51
Master Chef

+1, dragn, and well said. I don't consider it "spying" at all.

Addie, this is a public forum and it's a given that whatever someone posts, or is reading about, is out there for public viewing and often very helpful.

I check out 'who's online' pretty often. Just today I scrolled down and saw a guest reading something of particular interest to me today - a cole slaw thread. I have half a green cabbage and half a purple cabbage to use up and was going to do a search here for different cole slaw ideas, and there it was. Click, and done.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I just responded to a new member with an odd screen name and unusual question. It will be interesting to see if he/she is another one-hit wonder. Hmmmm.

CD
Three pages of replies from DC members, no follow-up from poster. The question just looks "made up" to me. Ad that to the poster's screen name, and I can't help but suspect we are being played with.

CD

Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

That's happened before, too, casey.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

If it's been under 24 hours I'd give the OP more time to respond.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's happened before, too, casey.
Truth. And it will again. Let it go, Casey.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Truth. And it will again. Let it go, Casey.
It doesn't bother me. I am just a very curious person.

CD
Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
+1, dragn, and well said. I don't consider it "spying" at all.

Addie, this is a public forum and it's a given that whatever someone posts, or is reading about, is out there for public viewing and often very helpful.

I check out 'who's online' pretty often. Just today I scrolled down and saw a guest reading something of particular interest to me today - a cole slaw thread. I have half a green cabbage and half a purple cabbage to use up and was going to do a search here for different cole slaw ideas, and there it was. Click, and done.
I have always been a very private person. And I have always thought that others are also. Even my kids know very little about my childhood. I am very reluctant to answer their questions. One day my oldest daughter asked me about the scar on my knee. I turned around and slapped her as hard as I could. "None of your business" is what I screamed at her. It was from when one of the pigs turned on me and bit me. It left me with more internal scars than anyone would ever see. I later apologized to her and told her I was bit by a pig and didn't want to talk about it. She had the good sense to not ask any more questions. Maybe some day I will tell her the story. The only real happiness I had as a child was always at my mother's side helping her. I loved living on that farm and when they sold it I was heartbroken. To this day when I am in a car and out in the countryside, I get that strange yearning again and again of wanting to go back.

I think everyone tells of what they would do if they won the Lottery. Well, for me it would be to go back to a life on a farm. A silly wish, since I know it wouldn't be like my childhood with my mother. But I could take a vacation on a working farm that have guests. I would just stay away from the pigs.

I am not curious to know what other folks are doing. Other than what I read on the posts here. There are certain post I go to first. I get all my DC posts first in my emails. So I click on the ones that have always held my interest. Living here in this building where everyone wants to know your business, drives me crazy. I go out the back door if I am not taking my scooter with me. Just to avoid meeting up with the gossip patrol. When I first moved in here, one of the residents knew my kids when he was a cafeteria worker in the schools. She recognized them when they came to visit me. She had the gall to go to the office and ask what my name was and what apartment I was moving in. Fortunately the manager told her that information was private. Try as she might, over these ten years I have lived here, she still can't find out anything about me except I have two boys who visit me every day.

I value my privacy. And I try to do the same for everyone else. Some days it is harder than others.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 AM   #58
Master Chef

I often hesitate to welcome folks that introduce themselves because I get a feeling they are " one hit wonders". Then there are those I get a bad feeling about. The ones with an agenda. They usually start with " Hi, I'm doing research" or their handle suggests they are trying to market something.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I often hesitate to welcome folks that introduce themselves because I get a feeling they are " one hit wonders". Then there are those I get a bad feeling about. The ones with an agenda. They usually start with " Hi, I'm doing research" or their handle suggests they are trying to market something.
The ones selling something don't last 24 hrs. The Mods stop them right in their tracks.

I don't want to be part of any ones research.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Addie, you are the most vocal private person that I have ever met.