One-hit-wonder members...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I have seen this on every forum I have been a part of. A new member will post a question, and then vanish, never to be seen again. They don't even reply to answers to their own questions. Poof... gone!

Of course, this has me wondering, "why?" Is there a nefarious reason?

Has anyone else noticed this?

CD

I think some of them toss up the question on multiple forums, and quit checking once they get an answer somewhere. I guess if they get their answer here, their Momma didn't larn them up right enough to say "thank you".

What makes me wonder are all the people you see in the "Who's Online" page who have never made one post, yet I see those same names regularly. Check their profile page, they've been members for a day or a while, but no posts. The "Who's Online" page always shows them "Private Messenging". Strange...

I always wonder when I get an alert about someone I have never heard of following me on twitter.

The ones that bug me though are the dummies who post some kind of blather drivel on a professional site posting about inane subjects.

It would be like someone here popping up out of nowhere and saying, "Cooking can be used to feed your family, it can also be used to use up food in your refrigerator, or add pizzaz to an otherwise cold meal." Gag.

The internet is so dumb. Those folks just want a back link, or feed for their website or such.

It's a pet peeve of mine.

I think some of them toss up the question on multiple forums, and quit checking once they get an answer somewhere. I guess if they get their answer here, their Momma didn't larn them up right enough to say "thank you".

What makes me wonder are all the people you see in the "Who's Online" page who have never made one post, yet I see those same names regularly. Check their profile page, they've been members for a day or a while, but no posts. The "Who's Online" page always shows them "Private Messenging". Strange...

CG, I've noticed that too!

I've read so many mysteries that it makes me wonder if that is how international terrorists communicate with each other, what could be safer!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

CG, I've noticed that too!

I've read so many mysteries that it makes me wonder if that is how international terrorists communicate with each other, what could be safer!!! :ermm::ohmy:[emoji38]
Encrypted communications that erase themselves after a set period of time would be safer.

I always wonder when I get an alert about someone I have never heard of following me on twitter.

The ones that bug me though are the dummies who post some kind of blather drivel on a professional site posting about inane subjects.

It would be like someone here popping up out of nowhere and saying, "Cooking can be used to feed your family, it can also be used to use up food in your refrigerator, or add pizzaz to an otherwise cold meal." Gag.

The internet is so dumb. Those folks just want a back link, or feed for their website or such.

It's a pet peeve of mine.

OMG!!! That's what I said on the "Why do you cook" thread".. :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm... I've never look at the "Who's online" page.. Makes me wonder.. I never sign out so, I imagine it shows me as 'here' 24/7..

Ross

OMG!!! That's what I said on the "Why do you cook" thread".. :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm... I've never look at the "Who's online" page.. Makes me wonder.. I never sign out so, I imagine it shows me as 'here' 24/7..

Ross

I also never sign out. Does my little dot go blank when I leave and turn to green once I return?
I have thought about this before. Thanks Ross. Maybe I will get an answer.

I think this is pretty common.
I've done this many times myself.....I'll register, post my question, and get quick answers on automotive, carpentry, landscaping, concrete, or whatever I need from those forums..... And I usually post quick thank yous and never return.

Last edited:
I too think that's odd to see members who have never posted, but are active in private messaging.

About being logged in, I'm always logged in too, but "hidden". :cool: Mainly because I often only have time to just read a bit, but not answer right away. If someone has posted something to me or asked me a question and see that I've seen the post, I don't want them to think I'm ignoring it when in fact I've just popped in for a second before flying out the door. :LOL:

Like now. See y'all later! :)

It's been a long time on DC, but over the years I've received a few messages from those secret PMers on other sites. The few I've talked to seem to be people have a question, but are either too shy, or have net-aphobia, or are afraid they will get pounced on for posting it.

I also wonder about the people that show up in the "Discuss Cooking on Facebook" area. If you click on some of those links you see people from Thailand, Malaysia, or some other far-off place who probably have never even logged on here. Maybe they think we actually discuss cooking on FB (even though the last post there was from over a year ago).

Well I do know from personal experience that I once logged onto a site and asked my question... the next day I went back and couldn't find my question. I found the site but not my question... I felt like an idiot and don't know what went on but I also felt exactly like that as a "one-hit-member" and that the other member there must have just thought that too.

I also never log out but I don't think my "button" is green unless I'm actually on the page. Meaning I could have several threads open but only the thread that is on my screen will be green.

Answers:

The green dot displays when you are logged into the site and for a few minutes after you stop viewing.

The who's online list displays info about who is logged in and basic info about how many folks are viewing the site but not logged in. Interestingly the bulk of site views are from this later crowd and they are often viewing info about specific cooking issues.
The who's online list also displays info about spiders - the search engine crawlers from google and yahoo that read public posts so that search engines can return hits on specific queries.

non-posters: The bulk of folks who register accounts never post publicly - especially if they find answers to questions already posted. we call them 'lurkers'

Yes, homemade cakes are better than the box mix and often just as fast to make. Oh, wait... no one asked that..... :yum:

Last edited:
According to our members list, we have 16,144 members.

Members with one post only = 5,554 (more than ⅓ of all members)

Members with 10 or fewer posts = 13,242 (82% of all members)

There are a lot of "one hit wonders" and the site is supported by a much smaller number of members who devote a fair amount of time to being here. I would guess this is normal for similar sites.

I wonder if the other Social Knowledge communities exhibit similar numbers.

I know in my dollhouse forum, people sometimes make a single post to find out how to sell their dollhouse or what the value is or who made it. They're not necessarily interested in becoming an active member of the community or taking advantage of all the tips and hints. They just need the info.

On the other hand, I've lost count of all the people who eventually become chatty members who started their intro with, "long time lurker" before they decided to join in the talk.

I remember the first time I posted on a forum. It's a lot like the first day of school. It's scary, especially when you have all these people who seem to be experts at what they're posting about. You don't know whether they're going to call you names, encourage you, laugh at you, or what. I think I have 6 or 7 forums under my belt now and it's still scary when I post in a new one for the first time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom