"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,583
One-hit-wonder members...

I have seen this on every forum I have been a part of. A new member will post a question, and then vanish, never to be seen again. They don't even reply to answers to their own questions. Poof... gone!

Of course, this has me wondering, "why?" Is there a nefarious reason?

Has anyone else noticed this?

CD

__________________

__________________
I'll just flip this omelet, and... I'm having scrambled eggs.
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 9,824
I think some of them toss up the question on multiple forums, and quit checking once they get an answer somewhere. I guess if they get their answer here, their Momma didn't larn them up right enough to say "thank you".

What makes me wonder are all the people you see in the "Who's Online" page who have never made one post, yet I see those same names regularly. Check their profile page, they've been members for a day or a while, but no posts. The "Who's Online" page always shows them "Private Messenging". Strange...
__________________

__________________
"Eating ruins your appetite"~Mom

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 AM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: oregon
Posts: 158
I always wonder when I get an alert about someone I have never heard of following me on twitter.

The ones that bug me though are the dummies who post some kind of blather drivel on a professional site posting about inane subjects.

It would be like someone here popping up out of nowhere and saying, "Cooking can be used to feed your family, it can also be used to use up food in your refrigerator, or add pizzaz to an otherwise cold meal." Gag.

The internet is so dumb. Those folks just want a back link, or feed for their website or such.

It's a pet peeve of mine.
__________________
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I think some of them toss up the question on multiple forums, and quit checking once they get an answer somewhere. I guess if they get their answer here, their Momma didn't larn them up right enough to say "thank you".

What makes me wonder are all the people you see in the "Who's Online" page who have never made one post, yet I see those same names regularly. Check their profile page, they've been members for a day or a while, but no posts. The "Who's Online" page always shows them "Private Messenging". Strange...
CG, I've noticed that too!

I've read so many mysteries that it makes me wonder if that is how international terrorists communicate with each other, what could be safer!!!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
CG, I've noticed that too!

I've read so many mysteries that it makes me wonder if that is how international terrorists communicate with each other, what could be safer!!!
Encrypted communications that erase themselves after a set period of time would be safer.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Encrypted communications that erase themselves after a set period of time would be safer.
I'm sure that you are correct but I enjoy my fantasies!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post
I always wonder when I get an alert about someone I have never heard of following me on twitter.

The ones that bug me though are the dummies who post some kind of blather drivel on a professional site posting about inane subjects.

It would be like someone here popping up out of nowhere and saying, "Cooking can be used to feed your family, it can also be used to use up food in your refrigerator, or add pizzaz to an otherwise cold meal." Gag.

The internet is so dumb. Those folks just want a back link, or feed for their website or such.

It's a pet peeve of mine.
OMG!!! That's what I said on the "Why do you cook" thread"..

Hmmm... I've never look at the "Who's online" page.. Makes me wonder.. I never sign out so, I imagine it shows me as 'here' 24/7..

Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
OMG!!! That's what I said on the "Why do you cook" thread"..

Hmmm... I've never look at the "Who's online" page.. Makes me wonder.. I never sign out so, I imagine it shows me as 'here' 24/7..

Ross
I also never sign out. Does my little dot go blank when I leave and turn to green once I return?
I have thought about this before. Thanks Ross. Maybe I will get an answer.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 10,285
I think this is pretty common.
I've done this many times myself.....I'll register, post my question, and get quick answers on automotive, carpentry, landscaping, concrete, or whatever I need from those forums..... And I usually post quick thank yous and never return.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 7,407
I too think that's odd to see members who have never posted, but are active in private messaging.

About being logged in, I'm always logged in too, but "hidden". Mainly because I often only have time to just read a bit, but not answer right away. If someone has posted something to me or asked me a question and see that I've seen the post, I don't want them to think I'm ignoring it when in fact I've just popped in for a second before flying out the door.

Like now. See y'all later!
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.