"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Oversized Pictures

What is it with all the oversized pictures lately? I make sure I reduce all my pictures to post in the forum down to 4x6 so that it fits and no one has to go back and forth to read a single line of prose. It is not that hard to do. When I upload a picture from my camera, I edit it right then and there. That way if I want to send it to the forum, it is ready to go.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've had that problem too. Glad to know it isn't just me. It's annoying when a thread will be normal size until one of these pictures gets posted and then all the following posts stay stretched out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Another forum I frequent just addressed this issue. Now every picture is automatically resized and has the caption "click to enlarge" scrolled across the top of the resized picture. Every file upload of a picture is addressed in this manner.

It seems the problem is many folks just do not know how to size a photo. So now that forum does it for them.
I used to hate those sometimes extra large photos. Having to scroll from side to side. Sometimes I think some people did it on purpose.
Now, no matter the size, the forum controls make sure every picture is the exact same size. If you want a bigger view, just click it.

I am certain it could be done here easily. But since a simple public thanks/like button is to much trouble, I highly doubt you will see any change in picture size on the part of the forum.
It will have to be the poster to size his or her pictures accordingly.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I use the "attach image" option in the advanced reply screen and the forum does resize the images, just as you describe, RB. It opens a new window where you can select a bunch of photos from your computer.

If mine appear too large, please let me know. They don't appear that way to me.

Addie, I hope you never want to print one of those photos. They won't look good at a lower resolution and you can't reverse the process. When I want to resize a photo, I do it on a copy.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Wine Guy

Well, I assume I'm one of these culprits, so please don't beat around the bush. I'll just respond directly.

DC always used to automatically re-size photos rather than show the whole image full size. I don't know when that changed, but I suspect it's just a forum setting that was inadvertently turned off during a recent maintenance update. Maybe one of the admins can turn it back on again.

I don't like uploading photos directly to DC because that takes up server hard drive space. Instead I prefer to use my regular photo site (my phone automatically uploads images to there) and just linking to the photo.

And Addie... what in the heck are you talking about when you say 4x6? 4x6 what... inches... feet... cubits? FYI, computer images are measured in PIXELS, and pixel sizes vary from one device to another.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm sure it's just a tech problem. As mentioned, photos were always either resized or the poster was informed it was too big to fit.

Let's be patient. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. We have a great tech team.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Zhizara, I think you're right. I haven't changed anything about the way I post pictures here for three years. But it does seems like they are not re-sizing the way they used to.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Zhizara, I think you're right. I haven't changed anything about the way I post pictures here for three years. But it does seems like they are not re-sizing the way they used to.
+1 I suspect I'm someone your talking about too Addie.
I also upload all my pics to photobucket.com and they have been fine until recently. Addie, until it's fixed you can always use Ctrl - to reduce so you can read the whole text.

I think everyone enjoys pictures and I'd hate for anyone who goes to the trouble of posting pics, be put off by this post.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Can you please post links to places where you see these?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Can you please post links to places where you see these?
Janet, try this one.

Dinner Monday, 5-12-2014 ~ Good eats?

As mentioned, this just started recently. The forum software used to automatically resize linked photos if they were wider than 500-ish pixels.