Please help me with my school project!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmooth406

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

I'm an undergraduate student who is currently working on a semester long project. My project consists of inventing a new product and writing a business plan for it. I'm hoping the cooking community can give me some valuable insight on how to improve my current product idea and push me in the right direction for how to develop a successful plan.

The idea: A new type of toaster that automatically cooks your toast to the perfect crispness every single time by scanning the level of darkness in the toast. It would feature cameras inside of it that allow the user to easily cook toast to their desired crispness by looking through an LCD screen on the outside. The user looks through the camera the first time and saves their cooking setting. From this point on every time that user makes toast they no longer need to sit and watch through the LCD screen but instead the "smart toaster" knows what level of darkness to cook their toast at.

If you have an extra 5 minutes to spare I would appreciate it so much if you could answer these 9 really brief and short questions. Thanks in advance!!

Focus Group Questions

1.) What kind of toaster do you currently own? Any specific features?

2.) How often do you use a toaster throughout the week? Are you satisfied with it?

3.) Do you use a toaster oven? If so, why?

4.) Does it bother you that you have to wait for your toast?

Based on the product idea I proposed earlier...

5.) Would you buy it? Why/why not?

6.) How much would you be willing to pay for a toaster like this?

7.)What features would you look for in a toaster? (Price, design, quality, etc.)

8.) Any ideas about what design or features you imagine this toaster having?

9.) 2 vs 4 slots. Would you be willing to pay more for 4 slots?

Best toast I've ever eaten (crisp on outside and tender in the center) was made on a device like the one shown below-

moz-screenshot-26.png
moz-screenshot-27.png
moz-screenshot-28.png
2pelouzePelouze4.jpg

Toaster oven
2.) How often do you use a toaster throughout the week? Are you satisfied with it?
Daily Use. Overall very satisfied except it takes up counter space..
Yes. Handles other quick projects, more flexible, cooks small 'dishes'
No. In the 2 minutes it takes to make toast, I get spread ready, milk to go with and plate ready.

No. Seems overly complex - more stuff to break.
My toaster budget would under $100
7.)What features would you look for in a toaster? (Price, design, quality, etc.)
Small, sleek, RELIABLE, cheap
How about an alarm to my phone when the toast is done or a live web feed of toast in progress? Just kidding...;)
Seriously, one of my pet peeves in appliances like this is how easy it is to get the crumbs out. easy cleaning is paramount. Also slots should be variable width for bagels, etc

Since you are planning an lcd screen, why not expand the capabilities and have some hard coded info to display on the screen... recipes, serving suggestions, maybe an app to allow that screen to display photos like a digital photo album...

No - but you should offer 2 versions - maybe a cool snap on "addition".... if i had more people to feed, I might want more slots.
---------

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Cameras?! When my toaster broke I used old, unpainted, wire hangers and my stove to make toast.

Focus Group Questions

A convection toaster oven
A couple times to cook whatever from toast to fish
Yea its better than the standard toast toaster
Not really, I can multitask

Not really, because as an engineering student, I say cameras are quite expensive for a toaster and LCD monitor too.
0 I won't buy it,
Cheap, does not get stuck, well built, can handle a couple falls, heat conducts evenly,
Instead, if you want a smart toaster, it should have a smart heat controller and calibration timer for certain types of toast and humidity settings.

Also, one that keeps toast warm, like have a warm setting

Not really.

A $15 toaster cooks toast just fine. IMO a toaster is not something most people want to spend serious money on. Toast doneness is not a big problem in most home kitchens.

How about something to test and recalibrate your oven?

Focus Group Questions

It's some basic two-slice model. It seems the slots are made wide enough to handle bagel halves. Like most toasters, you can set a dial to indicate how dark you would like your toast.

Hmmmm.... 0-5 times per week. I am more likely to want toast during the night than in the morning. It's usually because I want a dinner bread with my hot cocoa or tea. I like the toaster I use just fine. It does its job.

I use the toaster oven at work because I don't like microwaves. I wrap my food in aluminum foil because it's recyclable and cook it in the toaster oven.

I have not thought about it in quite a while. The only waiting that bothers me is the fact that I will go do something while my bread is toasting. I usually have the margarine out right beside the toast with the first portion of spread already on the knife because I want to butter my toast at its hottest.

Hmmmmm... You really have not given me a great reason to buy it. If my toast is just a tad darker or lighter than perfect, that would not bother me. I worry that the mechanism you propose for "watching" the toast will eventually deteriorate due to the high heat. Also, have you ever looked inside a toaster and noticed that the toast does not look as dark as it actually is? I assume your device would shine the appropriate light needed to view the toast accurately.

Hmmmmmm.... I'll give you $25.00.

I want a toaster that can cook odd elongated slices of bread and overly thick or thin slices of bread. I also want a toaster that would toast my bread fairly consistently. The toaster needs to be easy to clean. An added bonus would be a toaster that could butter/peanut butter your toast for you once your bread is to the right point. I unfortunately would sooner butter my own bread before I paid a large amount of money for a toaster to do it, but if you were to call the peanut butter Nutella, I am sure there are a few people who might pay for an automatic Nutella-spreading toaster.

Ah, see previous answer. :)

Of course!

Can you make a toast rack that will keep your toast warm until you're ready to eat it?

Back
Top Bottom