"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 09-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Iphone has an app for Adblock Plus? I looked and found one, but its not free, like the one I use on my computer.
Is it in the app store for free?
I meant the DiscussCooking app. I don't know if it's available for the iPhone; I have Android devices.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I meant the DiscussCooking app. I don't know if it's available for the iPhone; I have Android devices.

I love the DC app on my iPad, no ads either.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

You guys are right. No ads on DC app with Iphone.

I was mistaken thinking of another forum i frequent.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I can't believe the number of extremely graphical ads on this site, especially considering someone is paying to have this forum online. All that visual junk makes the real board information take forever to load.

Pro Boards forums have a lot fewer ads, none of them are intrusive to the board information, and Pro Boards forums are free!
With adblock the site loads in just a couple of seconds.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I decided to add the Free DC app. What a pleasure --- no pop-up ads!! Thanks for the information! ��
Old 10-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Head Chef

The page where you got that pop up ad killer most likely has one to keep pop ads from happening on YouTube videos. Those are annoying too.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Blocking popups

Both Firefox and Chrome have settings to block popups. In chrome, just type chrome://settings/content in the URL bar and then scroll down and click on the "Do not allow popups" option. Works for me. Firefox has a somewhat more elaborate way of getting to their settings, but instructions can be easily googled. You can also turn off those annoying auto play videos in either browser from the same settings menu.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
Both Firefox and Chrome have settings to block popups. In chrome, just type chrome://settings/content in the URL bar and then scroll down and click on the "Do not allow popups" option. Works for me.
Ya, but those settings are default and many still get pop up ads on major sites like cnn.com and Youtube, even with no apparent malware on their system or a system that's been successfully cleaned of malware.

So...do you see why Ad Block is the most downloaded app out there?

Lately, I've been considering turning off automatic updates of my browser and NOT having new versions installed automatically. Why? Because there's not much really jazzy new with the updates, and if the old browser version kept popups from happening, it seems the new auto updated version just causes more pop ups and stuff like that , which require adding the Pop Up app. If I can get a stable version of Chrome to prevent popups using default settings, I'm gonna turn off Chrome updating my browser. We as browser users should not have to add Ad Block app! It's the damn auto browser updates causing it, IMO.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #19
Head Chef

I meant to capture the image of Ad Block in the upper right hand corner of my browser page with a huge ad banner at the top of CNN.coms opening page.

Anyways, what I'm saying is that advertisers will hire ppl to get their ads shown and no ad blocker app is gonna stop them. Ads=getting product or service seen by millions= potential millions of dollars in revenue = it's gonna be hard to stop/thwart them.

By the way, when I restarted my homepage, cnn.com, that huge banner at the top wasn't there. But later on it was.
And there was no X button to click out of it. Do you know what that means? CNN allowed that top banner and was probably paid millions to allow it, as a part of their site, not as a 3rd party attempt at adding ads. That's scary. It means CNN can be bought.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #20
Head Chef

Big energy company ad banner on CNN which CNN allowed. Try and fight that.

Huh? I just tried and post an image showing CNN being for money and this site won't let me post that image.

Let me try again....

Nope. An admin is taking exception with me. It seems.