Pop-Up Ads! Gr-r-r-r-r!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellyCooks

Senior Cook
I am hating the pop-up ads on this site. The Moen ad is especially bad -- it kicks me off the site every time it appears! The others make it difficult to view threads -- they keep popping in and out and make it difficult to read the posts on the thread. Is anyone else having problems with these annoying ads?

Which browser are you using? Modern browsers have a setting to block pop-up ads. I use Firefox and I also have installed an add-in to block all ads, so I don't see any at all.

Thank you GG and Steve! I'm going to try AdBlock right now. It will be a pleasure to come to this site and not see those ads! Thanks, again!!!

I am hating the pop-up ads on this site. The Moen ad is especially bad -- it kicks me off the site every time it appears! The others make it difficult to view threads -- they keep popping in and out and make it difficult to read the posts on the thread. Is anyone else having problems with these annoying ads?
All the bl**dy time and Adblock and its relatives are are no use at all!

I'm on Windows 7 (a whole other story) and my IE is up to date.

Last edited:
I can't believe the number of extremely graphical ads on this site, especially considering someone is paying to have this forum online. All that visual junk makes the real board information take forever to load.

Pro Boards forums have a lot fewer ads, none of them are intrusive to the board information, and Pro Boards forums are free!

I can't believe the number of extremely graphical ads on this site, especially considering someone is paying to have this forum online. All that visual junk makes the real board information take forever to load.

Pro Boards forums have a lot fewer ads, none of them are intrusive to the board information, and Pro Boards forums are free!

With adblock the site loads in just a couple of seconds.

I decided to add the Free DC app. What a pleasure --- no pop-up ads!! Thanks for the information! ��

Blocking popups

Both Firefox and Chrome have settings to block popups. In chrome, just type chrome://settings/content in the URL bar and then scroll down and click on the "Do not allow popups" option. Works for me. Firefox has a somewhat more elaborate way of getting to their settings, but instructions can be easily googled. You can also turn off those annoying auto play videos in either browser from the same settings menu.

Both Firefox and Chrome have settings to block popups. In chrome, just type chrome://settings/content in the URL bar and then scroll down and click on the "Do not allow popups" option. Works for me.

Ya, but those settings are default and many still get pop up ads on major sites like cnn.com and Youtube, even with no apparent malware on their system or a system that's been successfully cleaned of malware.

So...do you see why Ad Block is the most downloaded app out there?

Lately, I've been considering turning off automatic updates of my browser and NOT having new versions installed automatically. Why? Because there's not much really jazzy new with the updates, and if the old browser version kept popups from happening, it seems the new auto updated version just causes more pop ups and stuff like that , which require adding the Pop Up app. If I can get a stable version of Chrome to prevent popups using default settings, I'm gonna turn off Chrome updating my browser. We as browser users should not have to add Ad Block app! It's the damn auto browser updates causing it, IMO.

Last edited:
I meant to capture the image of Ad Block in the upper right hand corner of my browser page with a huge ad banner at the top of CNN.coms opening page.

Anyways, what I'm saying is that advertisers will hire ppl to get their ads shown and no ad blocker app is gonna stop them. Ads=getting product or service seen by millions= potential millions of dollars in revenue = it's gonna be hard to stop/thwart them.

By the way, when I restarted my homepage, cnn.com, that huge banner at the top wasn't there. But later on it was.
And there was no X button to click out of it. Do you know what that means? CNN allowed that top banner and was probably paid millions to allow it, as a part of their site, not as a 3rd party attempt at adding ads. That's scary. It means CNN can be bought.

Last edited:
Big energy company ad banner on CNN which CNN allowed. Try and fight that.

ad1.jpg

Huh? I just tried and post an image showing CNN being for money and this site won't let me post that image.

Let me try again....

ad1.jpg

Nope. An admin is taking exception with me. It seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom