Posting pics? Procedure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... In any case, a whole bunch of picture links here quit working. That won't happen with pix hosted here.

LOL... Careful taxy! I was once a member of another very popular forum, when it closed I lost a fair amount of info. (but at least my pics were on my 'puter) Never say never! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I didn't say never. I didn't even say that one wouldn't possibly lose the storage of those photos. I said that the links here on DC would keep working. Kinda irrelevant if DC closes. :ermm: :LOL:

I've never used a photo hosting service. Never felt the need. All my photos are on my laptop. When I want to post a photo, DC's software allows me to select photo from my photo files and post it here. Although my photos are full-sized, DC's software resizes it so it works here. Easy peasy.

Agree..

Ross

Depending on the post, I might prefer to link to a picture. If I attach pictures from my 'puter, they are all of them at the end of the post. If I link, I have more formatting control. I can continue my post below the picture.

I've never used a photo hosting service. Never felt the need. All my photos are on my laptop.
I hope you are backing them up to an external device, because your laptop drive will fail at some point. I have three external drives that I rotate for backups.

Back when I was working a young lady I was interviewing for an IT admin position disclosed that she lost all of her photos when her hard drive failed. Needless to say she didn't get the job.

Depending on the post, I might prefer to link to a picture. If I attach pictures from my 'puter, they are all of them at the end of the post. If I link, I have more formatting control. I can continue my post below the picture.
This doesn't seem to be the case for me.
BeetGreens.JPG
Because the picture of Sara and Maybelle enjoying beet greens is attached.

I hope you are backing them up to an external device, because your laptop drive will fail at some point. I have three external drives that I rotate for backups.

Is there a reason why you are not using OneDrive/GoogleDrive/iCloud for photo storage/backup? I keep my photos in OneDrive (1TB of storage for ~$20/year). They're also replicated (via OneDrive) to my computers.

It's nice to bring up the OneDrive app and be able to search/see any photo that I have.

I have my full resolution photos stored on iCloud. They are replicated on my MacBook and iPhone in lower resolution versions. If I choose a photo on either device, it's automatically downloaded as the full res version so I can edit or print it. All three locations are synched with additions, deletions and changes.

This doesn't seem to be the case for me.
View attachment 36419
Because the picture of Sara and Maybelle enjoying beet greens is attached.

Interesting. I will admit it has been a long time since I last tried to comment after attaching a photo. What do you do to get the text below the attachment? I attached a file and then typed some more. This is what happened:

I'll try that here:

And now we'll see if this bit of text shows below the attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_190816.jpg
    IMG_20190317_190816.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 168
Use the paper clip on the top row in reply window to choose pictures and hit upload pictures. Then type in your text, click paper clip select picture.

western_scramble_tomato_082819_IMG_6155.jpg

Then add more text. Click paper clip again and choose another picture.

brunch_082619_IMG_6149.jpg

This is what it looks like.

upload pictures.JPG

To add additional pictures after the first upload. Just click paper clip and click manage attachments and the upload window will pop up. Choose more pictures and then upload.

taxlady wrote: What do you do to get the text below the attachment? I attached a file and then typed some more. This is what happened:
I'll try that here:
And now we'll see if this bit of text shows below the attachment.
We shouldn't be seeing the words "Attached Thumbnails in a box around the image.
ATTACH]36425[/ATTACH]
This text is entered in the "Reply to Thread" input box below the attach string except I purposefully deleted the open bracket symbol from the beginning of the string.

Attachments

• funny-dog-pictures-burglerz-away.jpg
    funny-dog-pictures-burglerz-away.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 145
And this post is just like the one above except:
HomerDoh.gif
This time I inserted the complete string.
:huh: Sorry if this is unclear; I find it hard to write about text strings or command lines, probably because I don't understand them.

We shouldn't be seeing the words "Attached Thumbnails in a box around the image.
ATTACH]36425[/ATTACH]
This text is entered in the "Reply to Thread" input box below the attach string except I purposefully deleted the open bracket symbol from the beginning of the string.

You see the "Attached thumbnail" text box when you use the Attach Files/Manage Attachments option below the reply window.

attached files.JPG

Use the paper clip to choose and upload pictures. You won't see the box around your picture.

Is there a reason why you are not using OneDrive/GoogleDrive/iCloud for photo storage/backup? I keep my photos in OneDrive (1TB of storage for ~$20/year). They're also replicated (via OneDrive) to my computers.

It's nice to bring up the OneDrive app and be able to search/see any photo that I have.
It's not just photos that I back up. It depends upon your comfort level with sensitive personal information being stored by a service where you have no idea who has access to it.

It's not just photos that I back up. It depends upon your comfort level with sensitive personal information being stored by a service where you have no idea who has access to it.

Yes, I store more than photos in the cloud. If you have concerns about your data security, see this document for info on what they do with security.

OneDrive:
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...he-cloud-23c6ea94-3608-48d7-8bf0-80e142edd1e1

iCloud: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

The issue with using physical backups is that unless you rotate your drives to a secure offsite location, you're not protected against acts of God.

Yes, I store more than photos in the cloud. If you have concerns about your data security, see this document for info on what they do with security.

OneDrive:
https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...he-cloud-23c6ea94-3608-48d7-8bf0-80e142edd1e1

iCloud: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

The issue with using physical backups is that unless you rotate your drives to a secure offsite location, you're not protected against acts of God.
The other issue is that if there's a virus or some type of corruption that doesn't cause problems right away, it can end up on all your backups and cause problems later. When I was responsible for the backups for a manufacturing company where I worked, we did incremental backup every night on new media; at the end of every month, we did two backups - one for us and one that we took to the company's bank safety deposit box.

I use Backup Blaze for my stuff - it backs up immediately after any file changes, so everything is always current and I don't have to think about it. Saved my data a several years ago when my laptop died.

The other issue is that if there's a virus or some type of corruption that doesn't cause problems right away, it can end up on all your backups and cause problems later. When I was responsible for the backups for a manufacturing company where I worked, we did incremental backup every night on new media; at the end of every month, we did two backups - one for us and one that we took to the company's bank safety deposit box.

I use Backup Blaze for my stuff - it backs up immediately after any file changes, so everything is always current and I don't have to think about it. Saved my data a several years ago when my laptop died.

Yes, agreed that it's a concern. It's a good reason why people should be testing their backups periodically to make sure there are no issues.

OneDrive does have a cool feature where each file has an version history enabling you to restore an older version.

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...OneDrive-159cad6d-d76e-4981-88ef-de6e96c93893

Use the paper clip on the top row in reply window to choose pictures and hit upload pictures. Then type in your text, click paper clip select picture.

View attachment 36423

Then add more text. Click paper clip again and choose another picture.

View attachment 36424

This is what it looks like.

View attachment 36426

To add additional pictures after the first upload. Just click paper clip and click manage attachments and the upload window will pop up. Choose more pictures and then upload.
I have been using the paper clip and then the upload window that pops up. How else would I attach file?

I will try this again.

Here's a file that I will attach using the paper clip icon:

I just uploaded the file.

Now I will upload another file.

I am trying to type below the second upload

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_190520.jpg
    IMG_20190317_190520.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190317_190738.jpg
    IMG_20190317_190738.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 127
This is what the preview and the edit windows looked like, right before I posted my previous reply.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-28 Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-08-28 Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 147
You have to go back to the paper clip and choose one of the pictures you uploaded from there.

paper_clip.png

Then you can type under it.

upload pictures.JPG

And choose another picture

attached files.JPG

If you just use the paper clip to upload pictures and you don't go back to choose the pictures you uploaded from the paper clip then they will be automatically added to the post as "Attached thumbnails".

Attachments

• 010812_chili_cheese_dog_P1090285.jpg
    010812_chili_cheese_dog_P1090285.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom