"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 11-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Posting problems

When writing a lengthy post my login status seems to time out after a few minutes and I'm required to login again and then try to type faster to get the post in on time. Just wondering if there is something I don't know or if I need to add a fresh hamster to the wheel in my computer! Just curious.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

i have a similar problem when posting from home on my desktop. i have to log in 7 or 8 times every time i want to post, then copy and paste 7 or 8 more times until it gets posted. dw's laptop using the same provider (aol) is ok, so i'm going to finally upgrade my desktop to windows 2000, from '98. could be compatability problems with '98 (i hope). what o/s are you running dampcharcoal?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Hey, buckytom. I'm running Windows ME. Could the problem be with some sort 'idle time out' or something? I'm a moron when it comes to computers.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

i't may have to do with time, or some kind of polling, so if your connection speed is not up to snuff, the site polls and doesn't see activity from you so it logs you off to save bandwidth. my t3 connection to the web from a 100mbps wan (read very fast) never logs me off, so it may be a speed problem...

Old 11-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I live out in the boonies and can only get 56k, unless I want to pony up a thousand bucks for satellite broadband. If what you say is correct, I guess I'll just have to deal with it!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

Your problems are more than likely how you have something configured - not your OS (operating system). Well, Win ME kinda sucks swamp water ... but I would sure hate to see Bucky jump to 2000 from 98 when 98SE is more stable.

The board does "refresh" sometimes (which might be where you are getting bumped off) .... I think it might do it each time a new message is posted ... but I'm not sure .....

Two things to check out:

(1) When you log in here you want to make sure you have a checkmark in the box for "Log me on automatically each visit".

(2) Check how you have your cookies set - or any virus software that might be preventing cookies from being written. I forgot where Win ME hid it ... but it "should" be the same place as in 98 SE. From your Internet Explorer page ... click on Tools on the top row ... then scroll down and click on "Internet Options". Click on the "Privacy" tab and then on the "Advanced" button. If the "Override automatic cookie handling" button is checked - uncheck it. Log off and reboot your computer. If it's not a cookie setting conflict - then it is probably some security software issue.

I'm running DSL and 56k dial-up - Win 98SE - no problems here.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
Senior Cook

thanks michael, i have been running 98se, and did the things you've said about cookies and security, but no luck. oddly enough, the past few times i tried it, it worked ok. my wife's laptop works ok on a different phone line. i'm starting to wonder about signal to noise ratio. the phone line on my desktop is very noisy. i don't know.
btw, i have hard disks on drive sleds so i'm creating a multi boot system, depending on which drive sled is in the system
Old 12-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

whoops, sorry, that was me. i forgot to log in, lol...

Old 12-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Michael, I was going to try your suggestion but something curious happened. I clicked on "Tools" and then "Internet Options" (where the security settings are) and a window popped up saying something to the effect of, "This function can no longer be used due to restrictions in effect of the system. Please contact your system administrator." HUH??? Never seen that before! I fear a virus. Say it ain't so! :?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #10
Everymom

UHOH!!!