Pseudo-spammers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcSaute

Head Chef
has anyone thought about prohibiting self-promotional links of any kind or sort until the "new" member has like 100 posts?

it's quite one thing for a new member to turn up useful information - and a lot of that is best conveyed by posting a link vs. idiots like katie (another place) who thinks it's perfectly wonderful to cut and paste copyrighted materials into a forum "because since it's on the internet they meant to share it" - (no kidding - that's her "justification" . . . )

but this "Hi I think eggs and garlic is wonderful and _here's my site/blog_" really does not excite me.

now, true true true - it's gonna take a mod / admin to recognize a 'self-promotion' - but I'd vote for that TOS - and I am not bothered by participating members with self-promotional links in the sig/msgs.

it's a question of "are you participating or are you just here for the spamming?"

has anyone thought about prohibiting self-promotional links of any kind or sort until the "new" member has like 100 posts?

it's quite one thing for a new member to turn up useful information - and a lot of that is best conveyed by posting a link vs. idiots like katie (another place) who thinks it's perfectly wonderful to cut and paste copyrighted materials into a forum "because since it's on the internet they meant to share it" - (no kidding - that's her "justification" . . . )

but this "Hi I think eggs and garlic is wonderful and _here's my site/blog_" really does not excite me.

now, true true true - it's gonna take a mod / admin to recognize a 'self-promotion' - but I'd vote for that TOS - and I am not bothered by participating members with self-promotional links in the sig/msgs.

it's a question of "are you participating or are you just here for the spamming?"

Bravo!!!!

PF said:
We were actually working on something like that

You actually have to 'work' on something like that?????

A tourniquet, stethoscope and thermometer are my favored tools...I let those with computer smarts work on programs keeping spammers at bay...

Posts like those are pretty obvious even to newcomers like me. This is the first time I've ever joined a forum of any kind.
Hope I haven't posted any links I shouldn't have :( Don't think I have but I'm still getting the hang of this so maybe I did.
I think it's a good idea :)

>>You actually have to 'work' on something like that?????

well, the actual real life answer is: yes.

some msg 1/2/3 spammers actually do go on to become participating valued members. oh, yeah - about 98.652389 and two tenths% don't - it's 1,2,3 msgs with "and here's my sign" and they're never seen again.

it's a very big judgment call. and the really big down side is the time required for a mod/admin to personally / kindly / non-aggressively/ not-to-irritate interact with the 'new member/spammer' to decipher which side of that forward slash they're on.....

Last edited:
tough call. I trust my mods. They're nothing like "Peggy." :LOL:

I, too, just ignore. In fact, I view all clickable links with circumspect. There are also some talented cooks here that I wish had a blog or site where it all comes together instead of bits and pieces of bulletin posts.

I take it personally when half-butt spammers try to steal my DC friends.

If I see a spam post, I report it to the mods/admins so they can deal with it.

The mods and admins here do a great job but can't see all the posts all the time. It helps if responsible members report miscreants.

Back
Top Bottom