"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 10-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
I think we, as a community, all have the same 'positive' goals here. Yes you will get people with an axe to grind, that just want to bash...those are the members we do not want in our community. I hope that my suggestion does not perpetuate only neg comments. It was a suggestion for our community. Everyone is entitled to suggestions. Please don't race to your computer to give a grillion reasons why it won't work. i.e. keep an open mind. Thanks.
As a fairly new member here, it has been my observation that, by and large, the atmosphere is very allowing and open. Occasionally tempers have warmed but haven't risen to the heated/furious stage. Everything can't be all sweetness and light all the time. This isn't Utopia and we're all human and all different.

I've also noticed that when there have been obvious negative-sounding exchanges, other members interject their comments on the thread's subject (ignoring the cross exchange), which tends to diffuse a potential bad situation.

Another thing I've seen is when an "undesirable" poster comes on the scene, whether or not DC members do it intentionally, his/her posts appear to be discretely ignored or replied to in a minimal manner. The poster isn't rewarded with the desired response and dries up and goes away.

Just my 2 cents worth, for what it's worth.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Ratings

I joined this site to learn new ideas and recipes. All the ppl here have been so friendly and helpful- I appreciate that. Now if you want to rate every thread,that will be a differant story, I don't what to be rated (judged) on everything I post. I come here to relax and enjoy- not be graded ! Iam a 61 yr. old Grandma, who loves ppl, and cooking - hearing everyones views and ideas- right or wrong. Barb L.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
Head Chef

I would be disappointed to see a points rating system instigated as it would be inhibiting and would doubtless put new members off. It's already quite difficult butting into an existing community without feeling like you're going to be given marks.

One thing that would be nice is some kind of record of whom I've given karma to. I can see in my user cp who's been generous to me, but I keep trying to give karma to people I've recently given karma to and can't yet give to again. It would also be an easy way for me to keep a record of posts I've found especially helpful (recipes, tips, etc.). But this is just additional work for all of those of you who keep this site ticking over. Big karma is due just for that.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
along with Snoops idea... I'd like to be able to give more than 10 karma points a day. Sometimes... I run out before I'm done saying "thanks" to those who deserve it.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to look at this this way, I like things as they are simply because no one likes to be told your recipe is lousy. We all have ego's and we all have likes and dislikes. I might love sugared rutabegas and you look and say YUK...I wouldn't dream of telling someone I don't like your recipe, I just pass by take a look and let it go. It's so easy to hurt feelings that I feel we need to just let things be right now and continue as always..Look, like it then write a post, or karma, don't like it, okay, let's go find one we do like... But, I do have to say this, I love that members can come here and make a suggestion that they feel will benefit all of us and not worry that they will be jumped on or frowned at..But that we will say, let's see and work on it some more..
kadesma
Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been in a foul mood (and lurking "invisibly" for a few days), so it would not be good for someone in a mood like mine to have a negative rating system available to him/her. Better to just stay away from posting until one feels civilized again.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

mudbug, I have to give your post a negative rating for its foul mood.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

(Sternly) Andrew, meet me in Dove's woodshed please.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
(Sternly) Andrew, meet me in Dove's woodshed please.
Ohhh! She called you ANDREW! Now you've gone and done it.

Although, mudbug, if you can take Andy to the woodshed with humor, you're obviously rising from your funk.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

It's OK. She didn't use all three of my names. Then I really know I'm in trouble.