"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 10-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
It's OK. She didn't use all three of my names. Then I really know I'm in trouble.
Good point. And that's all three names, with no middle initial, right? Yep, done that with our children.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #22
Master Chef

I too am of the mind that the system we have already in place provides sufficeint guidance. I recently posted something inappropriate that I didn't realize was so until a mod pointed it out to me. When it was pointed out, I instantly saw my error and thanked the mod for removing it.

I know that my desire to help others, and to enjoy the comraderie of a great bunch of people is far more of an incentive to me than would be fear of getting bad ratings.

This is the best site I've ever participated in with over ten years of using the internet. It's unique and valuable. And I consider each person here my freind and hope to be the same to all of you.

Freindships, and relationships are delicate things. Most of us here have enough life experience to recognize truly thoughtful people, even in cyberspace, and to let the occasional troublemaker spout off for a short time without getting our feelins quickly bent out of shape. I have seen too many worthy and good people leave sites because of mean-spirited people. Thankfully, I haven't seen a sour personality here, and hope I never do.

I echo the observation that the mods here are top-notch and do a wonderful job. If I could have any regret about DC, it's that I can't physically be around everyone here. I can't cook up a cheesecake and share it with you, or sample some great food, made by someone from Italy, or scottland, or... you get the idea.

Mish; you are one of those personalities I value, and I completely understand what you are trying to achieve. I certainly admit that what you say has merit. I only believe that the DC members have shown themselves to be adult, mature, and truly caring.

And Mudbug, I hope that whatever has you in a stew will soon pass by, allowing you to be your happy self again.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:53 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I, too, have not been around for a great length of time. I note many new people become members every day. I also note that many people here seem to have established friendships with other posters. That's fine, especially given that many of you have more than likely been here since it's inception.

For the record, I tone my'self' down quite a bit here. I don't do it for just anyone, but I like discussing food, and I am willing to play by the rules. Having said that, I don't know that I would appreciate having something I took the time to compose and share judged if it was 'worthwhile' or not by people who don't really know me. I believe a private word from a moderator is more appropriate than other general users suggesting someone's thoughts are not worthwhile. I think the stars rating already in place is more than efficient in making others know when a post or thread is enjoyable. Pointing out that a thread isn't up to someone's standards would only cause strife, I believe.

Moderation is fine, to a point. When it's used to keep the mood calm, great. But simply to decide if something is pointless or not, well, that seems capricious. Sometimes, people just want to say what's on their minds to a group of people they already have something in common with.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #24
Head Chef

I, another relative newcomer, agree with Goodweed and VeraBlue. Positivity is great, I love the Karma system, and of course mods do a superb job here of keeping us all well behaved, but what is a pointless post to a mod, or a professional chef, might not be to someone else. I understand the need to search before starting threads....I am getting quite good at that, and find almost all my little queries can be solved like that, but while I know that some people get understandably upset about things going o/t I think that tells me something deeper about the food itself...the associations it has for people and how that relates to the food I prepare. Food is not just about the ingrediants but about the method and the mindset of the cook, and its that that makes it so wonderful to explore.

I would feel uncomfortable being judged on my posts, and uncomfortable judging others. When you judge some one's post, or someones food you are judging them.

I think the mods do a great job now, and I think we all do well to communicate so well, in the main, so my opinion would be to leave well enough alone, or encorage more positive appreciation.....like making more of an effort to give karma where we think its due....perhaps making it so we could give more karma daily and with fewer restrictions as to how its given would be a more positive approach should it be decided something HAS to be done?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
It's OK. She didn't use all three of my names. Then I really know I'm in trouble.
hmmm, andy m. something-ian, i'll bet.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

You are correct, Sir!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue

For the record, I tone my'self' down quite a bit here.
LOL!

VB,
You have no idea how much I keep it down around here!! Mostly for the same reasons!

(I grew up in and around ice hockey rinks and locker rooms, went to college in downtown Detroit, and have worked in the auto industry since - It's fair to say I have a vocabulary that could peel the paint off the walls of a dealership, not to mention the cars in the showroom)

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #28
Executive Chef

VeraBlue said
Quote:
Moderation is fine, to a point. When it's used to keep the mood calm, great. But simply to decide if something is pointless or not, well, that seems capricious. Sometimes, people just want to say what's on their minds to a group of people they already have something in common with.
Well said.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

It's clear we are expected to "behave" on this site. That makes it a pleasant place to be. We all have aspects of our personalities we don't show here. It's a trade off you're willing to make.

I agree with those that feel no need for another rating system. While it may have some potential benefits, it also has some potential drawbacks. I believe it would encourage flaming to develop and the administrative staff already does enough policing.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
LOL!

VB,
You have no idea how much I keep it down around here!! Mostly for the same reasons!

(I grew up in and around ice hockey rinks and locker rooms, went to college in downtown Detroit, and have worked in the auto industry since - It's fair to say I have a vocabulary that could peel the paint off the walls of a dealership, not to mention the cars in the showroom)

John
I can make a sailor blush. hehehe