"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
View Poll Results: Would you use a Recipe Box option on DC if it were available?
Yes, I would use it a lot 3 15.79%
Nope, I have my own method 8 42.11%
Maybe, I'd like to see how it worked first 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Wine Guy
Alix, you mention DropBox above, and that's what I use. As added peace-of-mind I also have a scheduled backup at home that backs up my DropBox folder to a flash drive. So if something ever happens to DropBox, I'm not SOL.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I figured before I started a Cloud thing, I'd look at doing something here. All I really need is a spot to store links to threads.

A flash drive is a great idea for some folks I'm sure, just not for me. I access recipes at work as well as at home. I OWN a flash drive, 2 or 3 actually and at this moment, couldn't tell you where a single one of them is! LOL! That's why a link file or a Cloud type deal is my go to idea. Its all there ready to go, I don't have to worry about importing etc. I have hard copies of most of the stuff I put on here, but I find sometimes that going through the thread sparks a memory about something or there is a helpful tip in the thread.

I wasn't a big supporter of the recipe box idea in the past, but I'm definitely seeing an upside now.
Alix right next to my computer I keep a auto pull Post It box, and a holder filled with pens, pencils, staple remover, etc. along with my four Flash files. I always know where they are and I have them labeled. One is strictly for legal files. (On-going law suit.) I alternate two of them for back up of computer files. I know I sound like I am too organized. And I probably am. But that comes from years of working in a lot of different offices. Every compnay has their own system. And I learned them all. Mainly, get organized first.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
That's likely what I'm going to do Steve. I was just looking to be lazy!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Master Chef
I'd like that idea. I save the threads I like in Favorits, of course a while ago I delted "Subscriptions" which in turn deleted "Favorits" I lost everything I ever wanted to keep from here. "Subscriptions" is not a good way of keeping threads. The recipe box, or a separate from "Subscriptions" "Favorits" box would be nice.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Flash drives and external hard drives are magnetic, so they can fail just like internal hard drives. I use Backblaze.com for backup and DropBox for files I want to be able to access from multiple computers. Backblaze storage is unlimited.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I try to keep everything I want to preserve on a couple of flash drives, as opposed to the hard drive. I have had too many computers fail. Recipes (RTF), pics, backups of applications, other documents, etc......all on flash drives and/or external hard drives.
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Have none of you ever had a serious computer crash and lost all your stuff?
You can quote me on this:

There's two kinds of data, (1) data you have backed up, and (2) data you will lose forever one day.

It doesn't matter what backup method you use as long as it works. Multiple copies is the key here.

Some of my material I probably have a hundred or more backups dating to a dozen or more years ago. They exist in various hard drives and CDs/DVDs. When I can't find something and really dig I can spend hours locating an old backup, but the important thing is that I can always find it.

If it ever existed on my system for more than a month or two I have a copy somewhere. I probably have hundreds of TB (terrabytes--GB x 1000), or approaching a PB (petabyte, 1,000 TB, 1,000,000 GB) or so.

Storage is cheap. You can get a 2-4 TB NAS or USB/Firewire drive for a few hundred bucks at Amazon.

Just keep storing copies and put it on different media so that if one fails you have a backup.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
Head Chef
I've tried just about everything and Springpad has been the best fit yet. It has an actual recipe format, it saves pictures, I can add notes and it links back to the original source. I had stuff scattered in Google Docs, Evernote, OneNote, De.lic.i.ous, etc and I'm slowly but surely getting it all organized over there and am quite pleased with how it all works.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #19
Zereh, I have a springpad account and I like it. I might do that. It would certainly be easier access for me. I just like DC and think that if there is a feature like this that is available, it would be a lovely addition.

Flash drives and all external types of back up are lovely as far as they go. I don't like them. I use them, but this is not something they'd be effective for. If I want a back up of a recipe I have it on a card, in a magazine, or in a book. I don't need another copy. What I'm looking for is easy storage and fast access that isn't inside MY computer. A Cloud, or Dropbox, or Springpad is more what I'm looking for.

Mods, Admins? Any thoughts?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
Senior Cook
I lose everything, so would love a back up on here.

acerbicacid is offline   Reply With Quote