Recipe sharing etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just realized that there are two conversations going on here. One is about legal responsibility, the other is about moral responsibility.

The OP wasn't asking whether or not it was legal for him to post the recipe, was he? Admin posted the rules of the forum in post #11. Legal or not, on this forum this is the rule, "You cannot legally post an entire recipe written or published by another." End of story.

I agree with all the copyright hoo haa stuff, completely, but isn't it just a shame that our conversation goes right to the legalities instead of just the courtesies in life?
What did you do today that wouldn't get you in legal trouble anymore?

All you really have to do is consider how you yourself would feel about someone using your recipe, and then do that for your friend. Can I use your recipe on a forum on the internet where I converse with my foodie friends? "sure" would be the answer, or even, "you really didn't need to ask", but the important part is that you did ask.

Lol. I was afraid that you had gotten disgusted with all the copyright law rants and had taken your recipe and gone home ,). I'm glad you found it amusing. I bet your friend will get a kick out of it as well.

Unless the recipe is for a cake I will make it in your friend's honor.

I will see my dear friend at work tomorrow, I will definitely ask his permission to post his family recipe or not.

My guess is he will get a big laugh oUt of all this, but THANK YOU y'all so much because I felt a bit strange about all this.
WHAT A great list this is..

Eric, Austin Tx.

PS, a Teaser here ..what the heck is Oleo? 2 cps.?.

I just realized that there are two conversations going on here. One is about legal responsibility, the other is about moral responsibility.

The OP wasn't asking whether or not it was legal for him to post the recipe, was he? Admin posted the rules of the forum in post #11. Legal or not, on this forum this is the rule, "You cannot legally post an entire recipe written or published by another." End of story.

I wouldn't say there are two separate conversations going on. I'd say there is more than one facet to this topic. That's pretty common, in my experience :)

He asked if he should ask his friend's permission before posting the recipe. I don't see any problem with educating people about the legal issues around posting things on the internet.

Before the internet made it so easy to post and repost other people's work, copyright law wasn't widely known, and most people had no knowledge of it. And that was fine, because it was difficult and expensive to reproduce and make money from someone else's work. Posting on the internet is very different from talking to someone over a cup of coffee in their kitchen.

recipe ettiquit

I have full permission now to post His recipe.. Big Al, He got a big laugh as I suspected...but I have not tried the recipe yet.

look forwards to Shrimp ettoofee.

should I just scan his hand written reicpie ? per the list i think I should really just list the ingredients and other Questions

Eric, Austin Tx.

I have full permission now to post His recipe.. Big Al, He got a big laugh as I suspected...but I have not tried the recipe yet.

should I just scan his hand written reicpie ? per the list i think I should really just list the ingredients and other Questions

Eric, Austin Tx.

I make it a rule to not post recipes that I haven't tried. If someone is looking for a reference I will provide a link(s), but never recommend a specific recipe untried. Also you might want to do a search of your friend's recipe to make sure it isn't one your friend copied. There are many etouffee recipes on the net. Just saying.

I make it a rule to not post recipes that I haven't tried. If someone is looking for a reference I will provide a link(s), but never recommend a specific recipe untried. Also you might want to do a search of your friend's recipe to make sure it isn't one your friend copied. There are many etouffee recipes on the net. Just saying.

I thought he wanted to post it so he could ask the group questions about it, not because he was recommending it.

A while back I was asked to post a recipe for Boston Baked Beans.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/boston-baked-beans-93381-2.html :yum:

When I typed it out, I made sure with a lot of little side notes on the method, that it didn't look like it may have been copied from a site. The wording on the directions is strictly mine. Therefore I broke no copy write laws. I not only didn't break any laws, but I was able to stay within the rules of DC.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Post your friend's recipe, Eric. You can scan or type, the choice is yours.

My grandmother, who died in 1973, gave me her recipe for green tomato chutney many years before her death. She also gave it to my mother and my aunts and probably the whole of the village where she lived. I've posted it here in reply to a request and no doubt all my relatives and their relatives, ad infinitum, have done something similar.

So who owns the copyright on that recipe?

A little common sense is required here. If your friend gave you the recipe and didn't say that you must never give it away then I think it's yours to do with as you please.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom