"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I had to read your posts for a couple weeks to realize where NOLA was.
Just call me a slow yankee, lol.

Spork, you forgot someone from GA to let us know when Vidalia onions become available

Mid-April!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Mid-April!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Master Chef

I DO NOT at all think it should be a requirement. I understand the privacy fears. It is just easier to tell people what to buy, where to get it, if they give a regional reference. several times I've asked for help and I've always had my hometown in my leader. There are only 3500 people in my town, and believe it or not, I live nowhere near Chicago, in a quite rural community. Now I can get most of what I need in my home town, but when I first moved here, I could not buy any kind of short grain rice at all. Just plain old store brand long grain rice. Now, I'm a pretty experienced home cook, who has lived in much of the U.S.A. But even recently, a friend wrote me that I could find toasted sesame seeds in the "Asian Aisle" of "any" grocery store. Of course that friend has lived exclusively in Hawaii and Virginia in the few decades I've known her. It is no biggie, I can toast my own. Now, I do have a few feet of one side of one aisle of the grocery store with Asian ingredients. Nowhere near a full aisle.

the thing is, never assume you can get an ingredient "everywhere", and if you're asking for instructions to a specific dish, or asking where to find something (I've had people from this site send me food, and have told them where in Madison to find specific ingredients)(No, I don't live near enough to Madison to go there for even monthly shopping, especially in the winter).

I especially enjoy it when people wrote in about their specific problems in lots of geographical areas, and have received many hints about recipes from different cultures. I'm known for throwing a dinner party and giving a regional theme, which challenges all of our little gray cells.

I'm just saying, if you want specifics, and you really want help, and no one is stalking you (and yes, I have a good friend who does have a stalker), just give us an idea of where you are.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Mama!
I was afraid the cold spell might have harmed them.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #25
Head Chef

LOL! I wish mama and others would post a easy-to-use cut-n-paste FAQ of great smilies to supplement our VB forum. For those graphically talented, I'd even suggest a proprietary DC smilie challenge.

For those who post a skeletal question, most never log back in for an answer.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
LOL! I wish mama and others would post a easy-to-use cut-n-paste FAQ of great smilies to supplement our VB forum. For those graphically talented, I'd even suggest a proprietary DC smilie challenge.

For those who post a skeletal question, most never log back in for an answer.
I second both comments

We've helped lots of people who never come back.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
You guys are all so helpful to others! Perhaps when you go to answer a question and you feel you need more info, you could ask the poster? Often people stop by for just a short time to get their question answered and don't realize how much information they need to offer in order to get help.

Excellent idea, Alix!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

i completely agree with gb. it should not be a requirement.

in fact, skeletal questions are merely a beginning. it's up to the rank and file along with the op to flesh them out. this is DISCUSS cooking, afterall. not the dictionary of cooking, where a single (or a few), all encompassing answers define the subject at hand.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #29
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
+ 100 To everything!! ~~~~ It should be required at registration to at least say what State you live in....
I live in a state of confusion, Uncle Bob, does that count!

Other than that I live in the PROVINCE of British Columbia!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I think it would be nice to know at least what state or country you're in. Availability for certain products are not available in rural area's. Also on the thread'whats your weather lik today" it would be nice to know what part of the country they are coming from. I'm in SD.