"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #31
Senior Cook

This is a good topic. I don't think listing your location should be mandatory at all.

But one thing that might help would be if the poster could at least say what part of the country they live in. Example: Southwest, Northwest, Deep South, Gulf Coast region, etc. If outside of the U.S., they could post what part of the world they are in...Asia, Europe, Australia, South America, etc. I think that would be a good way to give some info that shouldn't be harmful to the poster's privacy.

I know, for myself, there are definitely ingredients, etc. that have been discussed here that I had no clue about. But I'm really enjoying learning about what others eat and how they prepare their dishes.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Ditto. Well said.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, simon. sd = san diego, south dakota, southern delaware, state of deliciousness???

j/k.

annie, a regional reference will only work in some discussions. like cornbread, or clam chowder for instance.

on the other hand, i can mention a dozen korean ingredients in a dish, but people who live within my region, heck, people in my state whose only exposure to korean culture are those odd soap operas on cable tv would have no idea what i was talking about.

but, they might learn a thing or two from the discussion as you'd mentioned, and maybe try to find what we were talking about. of course it helps to be as open as possible with info if you need help, but that should be up to the individual member.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #34
Master Chef

I guess one thing that applies here is something I've never seen in the DC family (no, not Washington, DC!), but have in magazine articles and TV shows: You should only buy foods fresh, local, and in season.. OK, what planet? Then a recipe posted that calls for an ingredient that no way in ##** is fresh and in season where the chef is (usually NYC). On the other hand, I've lived in Hawaii, and mangoes come in season .... all at once. Many people are allergic to them, and you need about a zillion recipes for them if you have a tree (I didn't, so benefited from friends' bounty). I never, in those years, paid for an avocado, papaya, mango, lime, or coconut. So if I'd been on this line w/o identifying my location it would have been funny (my favorite of the above is still green mango salad, but now I have to pay a buck and a half for each mango, and what the market bears for the limes!). In those days I could any Asian ingredient and great fish ... well, anywhere. Now it can mean a day trip to another city!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, simon. sd = san diego, south dakota, southern delaware, state of deliciousness???

j/k.

annie, a regional reference will only work in some discussions. like cornbread, or clam chowder for instance.

on the other hand, i can mention a dozen korean ingredients in a dish, but people who live within my region, heck, people in my state whose only exposure to korean culture are those odd soap operas on cable tv would have no idea what i was talking about.

but, they might learn a thing or two from the discussion as you'd mentioned, and maybe try to find what we were talking about. of course it helps to be as open as possible with info if you need help, but that should be up to the individual member.
South Dakota.......Great places, great faces....Mount Rushmore
Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

i've always wanted to see the black hills and badlands ever since i read about teddy roosevelt and gutzon borglum's experiences there.

i'm a mountain man that never left nyc.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
i've always wanted to see the black hills and badlands ever since i read about teddy roosevelt and gutzon borglum's experiences there.

i'm a mountain man that never left nyc.
I live out here and still haven't seen them. Just seem to drift by on the way to Mom's. By the time we go past, the Interstate branches into 2 and the route we need heads south, completely missing the Dakotas.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I live out here and still haven't seen them. Just seem to drift by on the way to Mom's. By the time we go past, the Interstate branches into 2 and the route we need heads south, completely missing the Dakotas.
I love NYC I have only been there once, briefly. We are looking at going there for a family vacation, stay a few days the take a train up to Washington Dc. Recomend any good reataurants?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, only about a thousand!

tell me what you like and your budget, and i'll give you a bunch.

oh, and stop by cbs (where i work) for a tour.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #40
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
lol, only about a thousand!

tell me what you like and your budget, and i'll give you a bunch.

oh, and stop by cbs (where i work) for a tour.
One of the best days of our vacation in 2008! James and I will never stop singing your praises BT! One of the nicest people we have ever met!

BT said I was the only one who took pictures of all the equipment!