Request for using "Quote"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I belonged to another forum that uses the exact same format as DC.

I would like to make a suggestion and am hoping that no one takes umbrage. Being a newbie I'm browsing around reading a lot of the posts.

But then I lose interest in the thread, reason being is everyone is "quoting" the post that they are commenting on. There is certainly no harm in that but some of the posts are quite long and if three people "quote" the same long post - it gets a bit tedious to scroll thru and read.

When you quote it is simple to delete the parts that are not really integral to your reply. Or to put it another way, you only leave in what you are actually refering to in your reply. If you feel the whole thing is what you are replying on - there must be a key note that made you sit up and want to reply that you could choose.

You simply must be careful not to delete the 'square quotation marks' at the beginning and at the end. You can always 'Preview Post' to make sure it is what you want.

It really is so much tidier and nothing is lost in the translation. And newbies like me can read past threads without getting bogged down.

Thanks for listening.

example

I would like to make a suggestion
You simply must be careful not to delete the 'square quotation marks' at the beginning and at the end. You can always 'Preview Post' to make sure it is what you want.

The square bracket at the top of the quote " ] " and the one at the bottom " [ "

I belonged to another forum that uses the exact same format as DC.

I would like to make a suggestion and am hoping that no one takes umbrage. Being a newbie I'm browsing around reading a lot of the posts.

But then I lose interest in the thread, reason being is everyone is "quoting" the post that they are commenting on. There is certainly no harm in that but some of the posts are quite long and if three people "quote" the same long post - it gets a bit tedious to scroll thru and read.

When you quote it is simple to delete the parts that are not really integral to your reply. Or to put it another way, you only leave in what you are actually refering to in your reply. If you feel the whole thing is what you are replying on - there must be a key note that made you sit up and want to reply that you could choose.

It really is so much tidier and nothing is lost in the translation. And newbies like me can read past threads without getting bogged down.

Thanks for listening.

The square bracket at the top of the quote " ] " and the one at the bottom " [ "

I'm not sure I follow you.

Seriously, the only one that bugs me is pics being quoted.
I usually snip the pic out, we already saw it once after all.

Yeah, that too.

But to be fair, I know a lot want to post a reply and do it as quickly as they can. Ergo the long quotes and pics.

Sometimes when I reply to a post by the time I actually get around to posting it there are 2 or 3 other posts already done... :LOL:

One of my biggest faults I can never correct is 'highjacking' the thread, slowly changing the subject by "oh that reminds me of...." and it will slowly become a completely different subject. :angel:

I usually edit out irrelevant portions of post I quote, using and elipsis at each end of the deletion to acknowledge the quote has been edited.

I usually edit out irrelevant portions of post I quote, using and elipsis at each end of the deletion to acknowledge the quote has been edited.
And I appreciate the ellipsis. I may be nitpicky and pedantic, but I consider it very rude to quote only a portion without the ellipsis. It's far too easy to change the meaning of a quote. At least let people know that part of the quote is missing, using the above quote as an example:
... elipsis at each end of the deletion to acknowledge the quote has been edited.

We've actually had this discussion a couple of times over the years. I try to limit my quotes and condense when I can, but I have been around computers for more years than I care to remember.

Many of our members are not so savvy and may be intimidated at the thought of editing text. I am just making an assumption of course, and hope I am not offending anyone.

I agree that when it can be done it does keep things tidy, but remember, what is agreed to now becomes moot in about 2 weeks when 50 people leave and another 50 arrive who haven't seen this (hypothetically speaking with tongue firmly embedded in cheek!) :angel:

After all that, dragnlaw, I do agree, but don't see much hope in it sticking.

It actually worked on the other forum. What didn't work was the changing of subject... :rolleyes: :blush: Just can't help myself :LOL:

and you're correct Andy M & taxlady - I used to ...... before and ..... after. Forgot about that!

...When you quote it is simple to delete the parts that are not really integral to your reply. Or to put it another way, you only leave in what you are actually refering to in your reply.....
I remember reading this my first go-round (I took a 3-year sabbatical to "do things" that never got done) with Andy being the one to suggest it, if I recall correctly.

And this is what I remember you saying Andy, if it was you. Whoever it was, I thought it was a great suggestion. Besides, if someone wants to read the entire quote the ellipsis let them know to look up^ for something that was edited out.

Although I must admit I'm guilty of reposting the photos...sorry pac. :(

While we're on the subject of ellipsis, please keep in mind and ellipsis is THREE DOTS. More dots don't make it better.

I think the OP made a very good point, and one I try to follow but obviously don't all the time. When I do quote the entire message I often highlight with Bold or another color to make what I'm responding to clearer.

A tangential remark, but along the same lines as making the posts more understandable, is a suggestion that if someone replies "I had the same experience and it made me SO unhappy!" but DOESN'T quote the post s/he is replying to! Sometimes that post is a page or two after the OP due to heavy traffic on the thread or because the person just got around to reading the thread. But it leaves the reader clueless as to what made her/him so unhappy.

Some ways to mitigate that:

1. Tootsie, I'm sorry your goldfish died. I had the same experience and it made me SO unhappy!

2. Refer to post # 14. I had the same experience and it made me SO unhappy!

Otherwise the reply "I had the same experience and it made me SO unhappy!" might follow a post where someone said they'd just gotten married! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom