"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
michaelFTW, it's really not a good idea to disclose exactly where you live over the internet or over the phone. i sure as heck wouldn't, not under any circumstances. there are some real whack jobs out there.
you really have to be careful and watch out for yourself.
That is true, you will not see me giving out my real name, photos, state, address, etc. on the net.

You are a man, and perhaps you have less to worry about, but women need to be careful.

Perhaps if this was a closed forum without lurkers, and after I had known the members here for upteen years, I might give out a little more info.

But not as it stands.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
That is true, you will not see me giving out my real name, photos, state, address, etc. on the net.

You are a man, and perhaps you have less to worry about, but women need to be careful.

Perhaps if this was a closed forum without lurkers, and after I had known the members here for upteen years, I might give out a little more info.

But not as it stands.
You are exactly right chocolatechef. I don't mind telling people what state I live in, but I wouldn't want to be required to say much more - at least until I get to know who I'm talking to a bit better. And if these things are a requirement to create a profile, then you don't know anyone very well at that time.

BC

Old 05-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #13
Master Chef

it's sad to say that you just can't be careful enough about ANYTHING in this day and age, period. ESPECIALLY the internet.
even at the bar, i won't leave my drink unattended for any amount of time. i either take it with me regardless of where i go, restroom included, or, if one of the cops i know are there, i'll leave it with them or else ask the bartender to put it behind the bar for me.
you just can't trust people you don't know, and that's a sad, sad thing.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
It would sure help in answering some questions if "Location" was a required field in the user profile. For example, it does little good to suggest Hellman's Mayo to someone living in CA - or suggesting an Ace Hardware Store for someone living in the UK as a local source for a cast iron skillet.
I guess since location is not a required field we could always ask a person where they are from if they are trying to locate a particular item in their area, or it might be helpful to have location as an optional field.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I think that a required field should also be gender. No more embarassing posts.
For me it's irrelevant knowing anyone's gender, but it might be a good idea to have it as an optional field as you mentioned.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:20 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Smile Hey everyone!

I aksed for the Gender field a couple of months ago. But, havent heard anymore on it! I do not think it should be a required feild, but have it there as an option!!! And Hey Michael how are ya? I agree with you it should be in the profile but same as the Gender as an option. Because like Amber she would say she was female and so would i, and i also would say i was from Florida. So, to each his own. Im not sure who could add these options to the profile information. I sure hope they read this thread! And, agree with us!
Old 05-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Ace Hardware

Some of us know Ace Hardware here in the Uk
But thats because the are part of a wheel manufacturing company that I purchase 12" wheels from and ship them to the Uk
Old 05-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That's good to know Vernon. I think what was originally meant is if we recommend a great place to buy Lodge iron skillets we wouldn't suggest Ace Hardware to anyone in the UK. You'd have to want one pretty badly to have one shipped - I can only imagine what the shipping charges would be!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 05-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Ace Hardware

We actually bought 1200 wheels. I just thought it funny that you mentioned the Uk and Ace Hardware
Kind Regards
Old 05-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat
[size=3][color=magenta]I aksed for the Gender field a couple of months ago. But, havent heard anymore on it! I do not think it should be a required feild, but have it there as an option!!!
Well as much as the lovely and talented females vs single men like me ratio is encouraging, this is still not a dating site so I think the gender field would be a little redundant. Besides you gotta love a little mistery like with Chocolate Chef.

Closed Thread