"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 08-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #21
Executive Chef

As you say Marmalady - the idea of eating McDs.... .

Oh, unless it's this MacDonald (Lady Claire, wife of the chief of Clan MacDonald) restaurant on Skye....

I have a number of Claire MacDonald's cookbooks - they are very good - and so is the restaurant!!! You can make Kinloch Lodge one of my first recommendations

http://www.taste-of-scotland.com/mem...och_lodge.html

Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Someday, Ishbel, I will be there!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:50 AM   #23
Executive Chef

And when you DO make it over.... I'll show you some REALLY WONDERFUL places to eat
Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne duLibre
Somewhere in one of these forums -- I can't find it -- I posted a question about a "portable grill."

Weber has a large grill, about $180 on sale. A similar unit, online, smaller, about $120. Nice stuff.

Weber portable "Go Anywhere" grill, about $50, on sale. Your basic stamped sheet metal, gas hibachi.

"Everyday Living" -- I think a Kroger brand -- knock off of the Weber Go Anywhere . . . smaller. I don't need large. Right now it's about $18 on sale. I'm leaning in this direction -- but Fred Meyer . . . retail brain trust that they are . . . doesn't have one assembled, out of the box.

But I could take one out of the box. Or buy one, open the package, and return it if I don't like it.

A small gas grill, for BBQ grilling on the tailgate. How hard can it be?
This post is probably in the grilling sub forum in Outdoor Cooking. I'm sure it will get lost in this thread.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:46 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, i hope this road forum will be for anywhere in the world - if it has a road hopefully we'll have someone available to tell you where their favorite local restaurant is.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #26
Master Chef

Road food has a very simple meaning for me .... I've spent much of my life travelling in a car (Dad an Air Force Sergeant). Road food is what you eat when you are miles away from home and can't afford a restaurant. Kool-aid. The favorite was sub sandwiches, a true treat. Now that I'm a little older (duh), when we're on the road we look for small mom & pops, preferably with an ethnic bent to them (for example, Vietnamese food in Garden City, Kansas). Mostly, to me, it has to be something that is a bargain (I don't know what military per diem in nowadays, but that's pretty much the standard).
Old 08-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
How sad. One of the joys of being on the road is the discovery of the myriad local restaurants serving the type of food indiginous to the area. I simply cannot imagine traveling to Japan - or Ireland - or Scotland (hi, Ishbel!), and eating McD.
There should be maybe an "icon" for sarcasm and irony. *LMAO*

I'm where I want to be these days (Northern Oregon Coast), and even though I'm entitled to free military transport anywhere in the world, I don't take advantage because I like it here just fine . . .

One down side to being on the road is walking into a nice restaurant and requesting "a table for one." It's difficult to really appreciate well prepared food all alone, also seems a bit extravagant when you're eating alone.

Besides which, on the other side of the restaurant business -- the wait staff hates single tables because it's about the same amount of work for about half the tip.

But if I'm traveling with a group -- it's a feast, and I'll call the local media to have them suggest restaurants. There's always a "dining editor" on the major media staff in larger cities.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne duLibre
Northern Oregon Coast
It's gonna get crowded out there around the 23rd - going to visit my sister in Seaside along with another sister from Ohio.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #29
Executive Chef

When traveling, it is a good idea to also ask the locals where a good place to eat is.If I get several people telling me the same place Im going there to try it.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:59 AM   #30
Master Chef

jpm ... I have travelled more than most, and absolutely agree. One thing hubby and I do is hit a couple of bars. Some will be the bars of high end eating establishments, others will be working-class bars (we fit in both places, if anything have had the high ends try to throw us out with their mannerisms-- that's another story). In the high-end places, we make it plain that we are looking to see where we want to go for dinner, buy one cocktail each while we peruse the menu. At other drinking establishments, we ask where the best place to eat is -- ask the bartender, the clientelle. Over the years, we've gotten wonderful results all-around. But mostly we love the little ethnic places we root out ourselves (hey, Jer, that looks like Korean over that little shop, and I need some Kimchee fixin's).