Roadfood Forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
GB posted a link to a website that features reviews of restaurants across the country. I think it would be good to have something like that here. Members could flex their writing/reviewing/photography muscles to highlight the best kept secrets in their area (and to warn folks from nasty spots). People who read the reviews could interact with the reviewers because, well, it's a message board!

I think it would be great, especially for some who live in somewhat close proximity to others or for folks who are taking a trip somewhere and might like a central place to look for eateries in the area they're going.

As far as possible sub-forums, I think they could be broken into states (by two-letter postal ID) and maybe a sub-forum for 'Roadtrip' food (things to eat WHILE you're travelling).

Last edited:
Great idea!

I have to admit that when I first read your posting I saw "ROADKILL FORUM" instead of "ROADFOOD FORUM". I wonder how many people would really be interested in cooking a recipe that started "first scrape raccoon guts from side of road. Rinse well to remove dirt and tire tracks"

Fantastic idea Z!!! I think it could extend universally (well at least here on old planet earth), so that if you were planning a trip you could come check DC for culinary travel secrets before embarking on your journey :)
"first scrape raccoon guts from side of road. Rinse well to remove dirt and tire tracks"
- Hillarious PD :ROFLMAO:

Some o'da bes roadkill is raht down is suthin Ahkinsaw. We got it awl down he'ah!

:ROFLMAO:

You guys need to know just how slick we are - we have that in the works already!!!! It will be arriving soon!!

"RoadFood Forum" -- and I have an entirely different take on this term.

I'm thinking "tailgate" cooking -- picnics, at the beach, on the road. (I don't do football games or "stadium" sports, but I suppose it would apply here.)

I'm setting up a "chuck wagon" for cooking at the beach while surfing -- Weber "Go Anywhere" gas grill, 12" steel wok (flat bottom, steel, not "non-stick" treated), 36 qt. ice chest, Chinese cleaver.

I have some stainless steel plates, and cheap Farberware steak knives, "picnic grade" stainless flatware. BBQ sauce, and some condiments . . .

Toss ice and some veggies, cuts of meat in the ice chest, and I'm set to cook on the beach. I include some beer, maybe a bottle of bourbon and some mixers.

RoadFood Forum -- after a day of surfing on the beach, I'm able to pull together a great meal and some "cocktails" for myself and any group I might meet on the beach. And I meet groups on the beach when I'm able to put together a decent meal after a day's surfing.

"RoadFood" . . . I toss in some beach chairs and a sleeping mat so I can take a nap between sets of waves.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Actually - this forum would be for people who are travelling - where to eat while on a certain interstate or in a certain city. This forum is NOT road kill - those will be deleted :mrgreen:

Road Kill --

I still think it should be about cooking on the road, which is a skill unto itself.

When on the road I rely on "National Franchises" -- McDonald's, Burger Rex, IHOP . . .

Not good food, but you at least know what you're paying for and what it's going to look like when it's served to you.

In a Chinese restaurant, you can never go wrong with the "Number One Combo."

Somewhere in one of these forums -- I can't find it -- I posted a question about a "portable grill."

Weber has a large grill, about $180 on sale. A similar unit, online, smaller, about $120. Nice stuff.

Weber portable "Go Anywhere" grill, about $50, on sale. Your basic stamped sheet metal, gas hibachi.

"Everyday Living" -- I think a Kroger brand -- knock off of the Weber Go Anywhere . . . smaller. I don't need large. Right now it's about $18 on sale. I'm leaning in this direction -- but Fred Meyer . . . retail brain trust that they are . . . doesn't have one assembled, out of the box.

But I could take one out of the box. Or buy one, open the package, and return it if I don't like it.

A small gas grill, for BBQ grilling on the tailgate. How hard can it be?

Ahemmmmm

As has been pointed out... a number of members (growing all the time, I'm pleased to see) do not live in the USA - but we do visit interesting places that Americans (and others) may want to visit and would appreciate personal recommendations re eating places.

Just as long as Daphne doesn't expect us to recommend McDs or Starbucks in London, Paris, Rome etc..... :cool:

Daphne duLibre said:
Road Kill --

I still think it should be about cooking on the road, which is a skill unto itself.

When on the road I rely on "National Franchises" -- McDonald's, Burger Rex, IHOP . . .

Not good food, but you at least know what you're paying for and what it's going to look like when it's served to you.

In a Chinese restaurant, you can never go wrong with the "Number One Combo."

How sad. One of the joys of being on the road is the discovery of the myriad local restaurants serving the type of food indiginous to the area. I simply cannot imagine traveling to Japan - or Ireland - or Scotland (hi, Ishbel!), and eating McD.:wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom